Sheets for backing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheets for backing ?

My daughter washed some 1000count white cotton sheets and they shrunk too much . Can I use them as backing? If so can I dye them?
    Last edited by Marta; April 17, 2014, 06:57 AM.
    "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
    Hillary Clinton

Re: Sheets for backing ?

I don't see why not. I would wash and dry again to make sure they won't shrink anymore. If you decide to dye them, I would use a light color so that the dye doesn't transfer to the front. Maybe someone else has done this and has better advice to offer?

Another option may be to cut them into strips or squares for piecing.
    Donna

Comment

You might want to run a test to see how the sheets work when you go to quilt them. High thread count fabric can be more difficult to quilt on.
      May the road rise up to meet you...
      May the wind be always at your back...
      May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
      Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I can't say anything about dyeing the sheets, but it can say that my mother-in-law's church group uses sheets as backing all the time. And they have been making quilts for a number of years to give to charities.

Comment

Thank you all. Problem is solved. Just spoke with a friend. She helps at a nursing home that needs white sheets.
          "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
          Hillary Clinton

Comment

I don't know the thread count, but I have used sheets for backing before and never a problem or any difference from fabric. I bought them at Walmart..twin size and they have done just fine. I don't know about dying.
            Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I know you gave the sheet away, but they are fine for using as backing a quilt.

When you dye the fabric, be sure to set the dye with salt. This will help the fabric keep the color and not bleed out onto other fabrics.
              When I was in college, our sorority used to dye shirts a lot. After dyeing them, put the fabric into the washing machine with about a cup of salt and run it through a cycle.

Comment

As the retired manager of a hotel, I might suggest checking with some of your local hotels for sheets. Due to standards set by the company if the sheets got a small rip or any spots or such they had to be pulled out of use. So if you get a king-sized sheet that has a rip in a corner, you still have a lot of material for backing and we sold them for $2-$3 a piece. Just an idea.

Comment

I've used sheets and not had a problem yet and they were the cheap sheets from Wal-Mart.

Comment

Working...
                  X