Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batting for a quilt that will live in Florida??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batting for a quilt that will live in Florida??

A dear friend and coworker is moving from Massachusetts to Florida - I would love to send her off with a quilt (lap sized or perhaps queen - I have some time to get it together). What type of batting would be preferable for the warm weather?? She is moving some time in July or August so it will already be hot - that being said, my house is sometimes very cool on the hottest days because of central air. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Re: Batting for a quilt that will live in Florida??

I use Warm & White here in the New Mexico desert and use a quilt on my bed during the summer as well. It's not that thick or heavy and the cotton breathes. Sometimes in the winter I have to throw a second quilt on the bed.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I live in FL and like Hobbs 80/20 in mine. The AC can get cold, so i do use mine often.

Comment

My sister and her family live in Tennesee and I have a very good frien that winters in Florida. Any quilt I make for them has a cotton batting ~ cool in the summer and warm in the winter as my nephew will say.

Comment

I live in Phoenix and I use Warm and White or another 100% cotton batting and we haven't had any problems. As others have said, the AC keeps the house cool inside so our quilts are used year round. We even use the ones with the cuddle minky fabric on the back during the summer. We should probably raise the temp on our AC!

Comment

I live in NE Florida . . it gets cold here - sometimes in the teens - I'm sure whatever batting you use will be just fine . .
            like today . . it's down right nipplly - so I will be using my wool shawl while I run out on a few errands
            2015 is here
            Be Bold and Bravely put one foot in front of the other :)

Comment

thank you all for the input! It helps me greatly

Comment

I live in south Texas and have warm or hot most of the year. Our quilts are for decoration on the bed instead of warmth. I fold them down at night when it's hot. In cold weather we use blankets instead of the quilt for warmth. I don't want to launder the pretty quilts too often, so they'll last longer.

That wasn't much help for you, but the only batting I use is 100% cotton.

Comment

Working...
                X