Advice Needed Please - Double-Slice Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Needed Please - Double-Slice Quilt

I just made this double-slice top using the Christmas Peace layer cake from year before last. Didn't know at the time what I'd do with it and didn't buy any yardage. As a new quilter I'm still "adjusting" to so many prints/colors all mixed together and honestly favor quilts that mix a background color with the mix. However, I wanted to try this one first to get started again (I've only made two small lap quilts and a few baby quilts over a year ago). I looked at photos of completed double-slice quilts and noticed that many did not add a border. MSQC no longer has a fabric in this line that reads solid so I thought I might skip a border. Would you? I think I'd be happier if a solid border were added to pull together the variety of fabrics (in my mind anyway). I found the gold paisley, the green paisley and the dark green crackle from this line at another site. If you were choosing a border, which color would you choose?
    Christmas Peace
    Christmas Peace Layer Cake - Whistler Studios - Windham Fabrics

More importantly, I would really appreciate suggestions on how to quilt the top given that I have never even tried free motion. I have only ever quilted by stitching in the ditch, using straight vertical lines or cross-hatching. Would any of these work on this quilt? I was thinking stitch in the ditch wouldn't be the best method for this top but noticed in several threads here on the board that some members did so. Would that be done just around each whole block? I'll be using Warm 'n Natural or Warm 'n White batting. I've also recently seen examples of quilting using the serpentine stitch that I liked. Could that work vertically all across the quilt? Thanks for any suggestions!
    image.jpg

Re: Advice Needed Please - Double-Slice Quilt

I think I'd like the dark green for the border to set off the other colors. Your quilt is really lovely.
    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

My thought when I saw the picture was dark green, and that was before I even read what you had found. I think cross-hatching would work well on this pattern
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

I put an inner border and an outer border on my Double Slice. I like having one of the prints in the quilt for a border, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I didn't have that. I'd find a Christmas fabric in the same color family and use that. Like a Red with a gold swirl, or something along that line in green or other dark color. You have a cream in that top, I'd do an inner in that, and a wider in the Red or green. Good Luck

Comment

Also, about your fabric, have you tried Esty or Ebay?

Comment

I like Kensington's idea of a narrow inner border in cream, with a wider outer border in either green or red depending on your personal preference. A double border is really easy to do if you add a cornerstone. I would make the cornerstone gold.

This quilt will be fine with straight line quilting with your walking foot.
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I think cross hatching would look lovely on this! Beautiful :-)

Comment

Hey... She has your red and your green... Just email her first to make sure she has more than one yard. Although, you could get a 4 inch border out of one yard for a double slice. (calculated at 60x70 for grins)
                http://www.etsy.com/listing/16748557...FewRMwodwV8Aeg

This person on Ebay has 13 yards of your Christmas Peace Red.... Selling in 1/2 yard increments.

By 1 2 yd Christmas Peace Windham Fabric Large Red Paisley 35440P 2 | eBay

I've had good luck buying off of Ebay.
                Last edited by kensington; April 15, 2014, 11:33 PM.

Comment

i'm partial to the reds
                  :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Very pretty! I would use a dark green for the border, also. Since the blocks are at least 9" I think you would need to SITD both horizontally, vertically and diagonally. I've only done one D9P and I FMQ it.
                    Donna

Comment

Originally posted by kensington View Post
                      This person on Ebay has 13 yards of your Christmas Peace Red.... Selling in 1/2 yard increments.

By 1 2 yd Christmas Peace Windham Fabric Large Red Paisley 35440P 2 | eBay

I've had good luck buying off of Ebay.
                      I have purchased from this person before and had no problems.
                      Donna

Comment

Beautiful quilt!!! I would use 2 borders---one narrow in solid red, and larger, outer border in the green.....doesn't have to be this same group of fabrics, but just has to match, which is always a fun little project, but will get you into the quilt shops and you'll have fun there! Quilting: sometimes I machine quilt around each block and then do hand quilting to fit that block. maybe a simplified motif from one of the prints....
                        Good luck! You have a beauty!

Comment

My heart-felt thanks to each of you for your comments, suggestions, and links - all so very helpful! I'll feel much more confident now moving forward. I hope I'll eventually get better at knowing what colors will work best to frame the quilts and how best to quilt them. I've never added two borders before but may try it and I think I'll go with the cross-hatch quilting.

Comment

Do try two borders. I don't like doing borders at all but I usually end up doing two. A first narrow light border seems to illuminate the center.
                            "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                            Hillary Clinton

Comment

I like borders. I'd try one narrow and the dark green or red for the outer border. Your quilt is lovely.

Shop | Category: Christmas Peace

Comment

Working...
                              X