Minecraft Steve - pillow case help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minecraft Steve - pillow case help!

Liam decided he wanted some pillow cases for his bed...to go with the minecraft quilt I made him last year.

Together he and I cut and sewed the fabric to make this:

Steve face.jpg

As you can see he is very proud of it. lol

so now I have a few questions. These are 2 inch blocks. Which makes it 16 by 18 inches. I have a pillow case here from his bedding that measures 25 long (without top "hem") and about 21 inches wide with a 1/4 inch seam.

Questions are:

Can I quilt the top? I mean sandwich it? I assume I would use a very low loft batting? If so what would that be? Or do I just use fabric and attach it to the fabric?

He doesn't want to fill in the space with more 'blocks' he wants to just use strips. Is there any issue with doing this?

I assume I need to just measure the hem and double it and then add that to the 25 inches of the existing pillow case?

Don't think this is rocket science but want to make sure it's good. After this we are doing a diamond pick axe and that will have to be 1 inch blocks! ACK!

Re: Minecraft Steve - pillow case help!

Sure you can... add borders to get the size you want for a pillow case, sandwich and quilt it and make it into a pillow case like any other. I wouldn't try adding it to a pillow case, but I would cut the pillowcase down the sides to use as a back for this one.

Comment

I just finished several euro size pillows and posted some info to my blog. One of them was a Minecraft pillow! Check out my post
      HERE!

To answer your questions:
      For quilting, I layered the pieced tops with an 80/20 batting and backing before long arming them.
      Each one of my pillows had borders figured in for a wide "flange". I pieced those on just like a border after my center design was complete, so that they got quilted, too.
      I chose to do mine with a layered tuck opening in the back to add the pillow. To do that I layered the quilted pillow top over the 2 flaps and sewed a scant 1/4" around them to hold the layers together. I bound the whole thing just like a quilt and then went back later to sew a seam between the borders and the design to create the flange.
      Piecing on Bernina 820
      Longarm quilting on APQS Millenium

Please visit me at
      My Blog "Peachy Pages".

sigpic

Comment

those are awesome! I'm glad Liam was okay with a "plain" Steve face that was not overly pixilated. I didn't have enough fabric to do that! lol! Your pillows are great but Liam wants actual pillow cases for his bed pillows, not decorative throw pillows....which is really what I originally wanted to make. Only my kid would want actual pillow cases. Since I have never really made one I was unsure about construction...they don't really look that difficult??

Comment

Oh, ok, regular pillowcases. I've made a hunch of those for charity using THIS METHOD from MSQC. They're easy. I guess you would just need to figure out how much extra fabric you would need to add to your Steve for the primary pillow color.

i think I would still make it with the decorative pillow method (quilted top, folded over opening in the back) though, just in a standard pillow size.
          Piecing on Bernina 820
          Longarm quilting on APQS Millenium

Please visit me at
          My Blog "Peachy Pages".

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X