Ironing Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ironing Quilt

I know that after quilting that the quilt should be washed and not ironed, but will it cause problems if it is ironed? My DIL is making a quilt for my son and because of the quilting process the quilt is pretty wrinkled. She wants to give it with a crisp look. Any advise on how to do that? It's been spray basted.
    :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Re: Ironing Quilt

I'd make sure it's well pressed before quilting it. Use a water bottle and spritz over heavily wrinkled areas.

If it's already quilted, I see no reason why you can't iron it after you've washed it.

If this is a new quilt, the only reason to wash it is if it were dirty. If not, no need to wash after quilting.

Comment

I've pressed quilts after quilting. There's no harm done if you do, unless you've used monofilament thread, which could melt.
      Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I wash my quilts before gifting them to get rid of spray adhesives, etc. I don't see why ironing would cause a problem but I would pay attention to the batting and thread used. If it is a cotton/poly blend I would make sure the iron was on that setting. I was making placemats for a Christmas present and ironed one and the batting melted. Had to remake that one and use a cooler setting the next time. I was glad I learned that lesson on a small project that was easily remade.
        Ann

Comment

For reasons I don't remember, I ironed one of my first quilts. I waited until it was almost dry and I ironed and i ironed and gently stretched it back into being a pretty unwrinkled quilt. Don't dry it in the dryer and try to lay it out flat and then iron. Be gentle with the stretching, you don't want to rupture stitches. OR maybe dry-clean it?

Comment

I don't see why you shouldn't iron it.

In the past, I've given unwashed quilts to people who freak out after they've washed it, because it crinkles and they feel they've ruined it. I have to laugh and reassure them that it's perfectly fine, but it's obvious they don't view the quilt as being the same after that.

Since it sounds like you are a quilting family, I don't expect this to be a problem in your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by cyndiofthevortex View Post
              I've pressed quilts after quilting. There's no harm done if you do, unless you've used monofilament thread, which could melt.
              Only Nylon thread melts.
              Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
              Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

Working...
              X