X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batting question

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Hi
    Can anyone tell me what type of batting this is? ( The blue one is my sample test after washing)
    I live in rural Japan and making bed quilts it is difficult to find large/ any ! batting .My nearest place just had one type of the usual foamy 1/4 inch thick polyester batting just 39" wide. Anyway I drove into the nearest town and at a large shop they had just 3 rolls!
    Just one was 60 " bit grubby at edges and reduced to half price! But it was thin and had a kind of 'backing' on it. From what I understood the woman said it was polyester and they use it in factories -it had a kind of 'border with no fluff on the underside) , maybe to put on the machine rollers?
    Anyway I got my 6 yards and came home. Today I did a trial sample to see, and really liked it. the fabric kind of 'stuck' to it so even if I turned it upside down it stayed in place- so happy as that may eliminate too much expensive spray basting or pinning !!!
    It quilted up really nice , and I even washed a piece of the batting and it did not flake off, or clump.
    Can anyone tell me what this type of backed batting is called? and what you think of it?
    To tell the truth I was so happy to find such a wide batting, also so cheap I rang the shop and asked them to reserve the rest of the huge bolt for me! Going in later this week to get it. No batting worries for several years. ( now I just need to get a 'stash' together and I am all set!

Re: Batting question

No clue what it is, but I love when I find a deal unexpectedly! Happy Quilting!

Comment

Hey, if it withstood the washing test, then it should be okay. I am thinking it looks like some type of polyester to me, but the only way I can think to test is the fire test. Hold a little piece of it in the flame of a match or candle, if it melts it is polyester. If it flames a little and goes out, it's cotton. The backing part of it might be a blend.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

It looks more like an interfacing than a batting. It also doesn't look like it is very pliable.
        Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
        Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

i don't know, but if works - use it! You can get it by the bolt at the FoQ!

Comment

Originally posted by MartinaG View Post
            It looks more like an interfacing than a batting. It also doesn't look like it is very pliable.
            Thanks for the replies.Now I go back and look at my sample it does feel stiff , not very drapey of pliable.( wonder if that is the batting or my close up stippling.) I also wonder if it is some kind of interfacing. I am hesitant to go back and buy more. Unfortunately I got busy and have not had time to work on the quilt I bought it for, once that is nearer completion I should be able to see how it feels. Maybe good for a wall hanging,/bed cover but not very soft and snuggly for a quilt. I was just so happy to see something over 1m in width. I will keep looking I think

Comment

Working...
            X