Batting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batting question

Has anyone ever used the very thin poly batting that is around 3.99 a yard? How good is this, or will it be best to use fleece for batting? Does the fleece hold up well inside the quilt? The warm and natural will cost me quite a bit due to the amount of quilts I plan to make. I do not want my quilts to be thick and puffy. Help I'm new to this. But I'm addicted to quilting and on a budget as most these days.

Re: Batting question

I don't use the poly batting because I hand quilt and that is harder to sew through. I never tried using fleece. I got/get my warm and white at Joann's either when it is 50% off or I have a coupon. Last time I bought it was on Black Friday at 50% off then added another 20% off. I couldn't afford to use it if I paid whole price.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I've used thin poly batting, but I normally double it to give me a little more loft! That was in my earlier days of quilting. Now I use Warm & Natural and buy it with a coupon or when it's on sale. It definitely costs more, but it is so nice to work with.

The only fleece I've ever used is the iron on fleece, for small projects like hand bags. Not sure how it holds up as I haven't washed any of my bags yet.
      When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Since we can't buy Warm and Natural here alot of the ladies in the guild use polar fleece in their quilts. It seems to work fine, just remember that it does have sme stretch to it. I will jusst keep bring W&N back in my suitcases.
        Hola from sunny Mexico, Cheryl:icon_wave:

Comment

I like warm and white or warm and natural. But have used poly for smaller projects. A friend used an old flannel sheet for batting. I have used polar fleece for backing with no batting in several baby quilts. So far, they have all held up well, but who knows years down the road? The W&N is pretty thin, so if you are looking for real warmth or fluff, that is not the one to use. My long arm quilter lady suggests doubling it and that would make it warmer. I have ordered batting from Connecting Threads when it goes on sale......not sure of the brand but it seemed to work fine. Good luck, Sewsoft!

Comment

I buy the warm and white or warm and natural from Joanne's and either grab it while it is 50% off or when it isn't on sale and I can use a 50% off coupon. Usually I end up paying 6.99 a yard from the big roll of batting. It is a great steal at that price and quilts quite nicely on my domestic sewing machine. I can't imagine trying to fight with poly batting through it.
            Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
            Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
            Pinterest

Comment

I've never used the poly batting. The Quilter's Dream is thin but can be costly. The best price and quality is the Joann's 50% off coupon and buy the Warm and Natural.
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X