Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

    I am making a few I Spy quilts. I have had alot of help form alot of people and appreciate that. I have looked at alot of I Spy themed quilts for construction and design ideas. I am even cutting pieces and am ready to go with construction!

    But in all my travels.. I have not seen one thing. I am wondering...how do you know what is there to offer to spy? I mean, there are up to 100 items on some quilts (mine will have that many). And you say "I spy with my little eye....." and pick an image and describe it for others to guess. But how do you choose what to spy? I have seen only one idea addressing this...

    The woman used fabric paper and cut a block the same size as the spy blocks and with computer, printed out 5-6 names of the items in the blocks to find, then included this block with the construction of the quilt..like one of these item blocks scattered within the spy blocks. This way, someone could just read these items for others to find and you'd always be choosing different things and not have to actually sit there and YOU spy something to describe....if all this makes sense! And this way is alot of printing on fabric. I thought to, maybe put these blocks as part of the borders.

    My point is....how would you handle this? How do you offer things to spy and remember what you have or haven't chosen? Any suggestions or ideas?
    Cheri

    www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

    #2
    Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

    I have made several I-spy quilts and I have never made a list or anything to go by as to what to find. When I play with my son we lay it out and pick whatever we want. For me I feel a list or something is too much work and not really needed.
    I honestly wouldn't even put that much thought into it, but that is just me
    I would love to see pictures when you are done

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

      Originally posted by kmerfeld View Post
      I have made several I-spy quilts and I have never made a list or anything to go by as to what to find. When I play with my son we lay it out and pick whatever we want. For me I feel a list or something is too much work and not really needed.
      I honestly wouldn't even put that much thought into it, but that is just me
      I would love to see pictures when you are done
      That was my original technique, but then I thought...as big as I am making it (twin size) that's a lot to "look at" to find or even search for something to call out for I Spy....I was hoping there was another way. I guess my over organizing is getting in the way!
      Cheri

      www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

        Originally posted by coffeebreak View Post
        That was my original technique, but then I thought...as big as I am making it (twin size) that's a lot to "look at" to find or even search for something to call out for I Spy....I was hoping there was another way. I guess my over organizing is getting in the way!
        I am currently making a huge one with close to 200 I-spys and since I play with my kids I figure whatever lol We repeat all the time but he never minds (he is 3) I am a little obsessed with constantly collecting fabric for these

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

          Originally posted by kmerfeld View Post
          I am currently making a huge one with close to 200 I-spys and since I play with my kids I figure whatever lol We repeat all the time but he never minds (he is 3) I am a little obsessed with constantly collecting fabric for these
          I have 60 sqs...I just sewed them together today. 60 isn't hardly enough! So I have to continue to collect. I plan to play with them, but 2 of them are 3&5 and it might be hard for them to "find" something, but I guess they can learn! I am making another one for them to take home as they do alot of camping and it will be a great asset to have to play with at camp site and for blanket to cover and so many other things while camping! Do you have alot more pieces? I was wondering if you would want to swap some with me for something I have...PM if you would like to talk about it!
          Cheri

          www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

            I had several I spy books I bought my girls, about seven. I just gave them up to my grand kids last year for Christmas. In the back of the books there are 'extra' credit riddles. So let's say there is a pirate but the pirate is holding an eyeglass. The eyeglass would be extra. So it carries the game further. When your not busy in the evening get a glass o wine and make out a list and create a book of your own. Just put it in a school type folder, maybe decorate it.
            🌺 Lorie

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

              Hula moon.... now that is a great idea! I think I will do that. I can make a pocket in the corner of the quilt for the book to fit in and then it'd be together all the time! And the little girls...that'd help them to start to learn letters and words if they look at the word in the book, and match it with the picture in the quilt. Good idea! Thanks so much.
              Cheri

              www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

                I made am I Spy quilt for my daughter's foster kids. I used matching squares to make little bean bags. They can throw the bags and try to land them on the matching square. I made a bag to hold the bean bags.
                Quilters never die, they just go batts.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

                  Originally posted by tesspug View Post
                  I made am I Spy quilt for my daughter's foster kids. I used matching squares to make little bean bags. They can throw the bags and try to land them on the matching square. I made a bag to hold the bean bags.
                  tesspug..that's a good idea! A game within a game. That might be a good way for the 2 older ones to play too..they have to toss the bean bag if they find it and the 2 little ones can just put the bean bag on it when they find it! Think I'll do that. Thanks for the idea!
                  Cheri

                  www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

                    I made four I spy quilts, I used bigger squares, like 6 inches I think, I made the 10 minute block with a white center... When I gave them to my grandsons, I did the I Spy game and we did also a Twister version... Right hand on the Flag, left foot on the crayons, etc... LOL

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

                      Originally posted by kensington View Post
                      I made four I spy quilts, I used bigger squares, like 6 inches I think, I made the 10 minute block with a white center... When I gave them to my grandsons, I did the I Spy game and we did also a Twister version... Right hand on the Flag, left foot on the crayons, etc... LOL
                      That's such a cute idea!
                      🌺 Lorie

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

                        I have not made a i spy quilt yet But I was thinking as I read, for younger children using the same quilt start with just picking colors… "I spy with my little eye yellow" and let them find it, and like others were staying it can get more detailed from there.
                        Sandy

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

                          Originally posted by kensington View Post
                          I made four I spy quilts, I used bigger squares, like 6 inches I think, I made the 10 minute block with a white center... When I gave them to my grandsons, I did the I Spy game and we did also a Twister version... Right hand on the Flag, left foot on the crayons, etc... LOL
                          That's a good idea! I am all for multiple uses for things! I bet my little girls will be able to do that. The "spy" centers on mine are 3x3 (finished). Thanks for the idea!
                          Cheri

                          www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

                            Please post a picture when you're done!
                            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Help....I Spy quilt...how do you offer things to "spy"?

                              Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
                              Please post a picture when you're done!
                              Sure will!
                              Cheri

                              www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X