How do you frog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you frog?

So when I took sewing in grade 7 our teacher taught us that the seam ripper has a wee blad in the "crutch" of it. It's pointy to pick at stitches or you can open up your seam to start it and then run your blade through to rip the stitches out of the seam (or cut them).

I never do this on cotton because I have cut the fabric before. So I pick every single stitch. I just sewed an entire quilt top together and completely forgot to sash the ends of each row and the top and end of the top row...per the instructions given (Adding Sashing The Easy Way) because I'm an idiot and didn't read them right through! ... so now I sit frogging the entire thing. uhg. And this is what prompted my question!

How do you frog?

Re: How do you frog?

I'm an every stitch picker.
    Sharon

Comment

I leap a few stitches at a time
      2015 is here
      Be Bold and Bravely put one foot in front of the other :)

Comment

then your not frogging

Originally posted by EmmaB View Post
        I'm an every stitch picker.
        2015 is here
        Be Bold and Bravely put one foot in front of the other :)

Comment

I usually go every three stitches, cut with the seam ripper and then use my medical tweezers to pull those short threads. For those who do embroidery and discover that you have gone awry I recently saw a pretty cool demo where they used a medical scalpel to cut the length of threads on the back and the top stitches came right out. I've never checked as to whether or not one can actually buy a scalpel, but I imagine an exacto (?) knife would do the same thing. I know I went a little different direction than you were, Wendy, but ripping is ripping is ripping! Yuck!
          Judy

Comment

Since this is the one area I'm an expert at - I have to say I also don't dare slide the ripper along so close to the fabric. But I don't pick every stitch either. I experimented and I can pick every 5th stitch or so without putting undue stress on the fabric. I pick along one side, then after a while I change things up by pulling the long thread on the other side. And I watch something good on TV or listen to a tutorial. Or talk to DH - anything to take my mind off. On the upside, I remind myself that my project will be so lovely and I'm getting better and better and it's worth every minute of it. Hope that helps. Hang in there.

Comment

It depends. If my seam is on the bias, I pick out one stitch at a time. If the block isn't cut on the bias...I do what Lilly does.

Comment

Originally posted by CountryHut View Post
                then your not frogging
                lol That was funny!

I have a scalpel ripper and I use the pick every fifth stitch and pull the threads too. It depends on the fabric.
                Last edited by Hulamoon; April 14, 2014, 09:17 AM.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

Depends on the fabric.

Someone mentioned before using an eyebrow trimmer. Anyone remember that post?

When I was a teenager I used a razor blade - just the blade. Never cut the fabric. If it was just me, I would hold one end with my mouth and the other with my left hand, then slide the blade down. It's easier if you have someone else holding an end. I also used to shave/trim my eyebrows with a special blade I bought from the beauty store. My cousin was a beautician and taught me how to do it. It's the blade that's not sharp on one side and is easy to hold.
                  Vonnie

Comment

Slow and carefully
                    :icon_wave: Lynn

Comment

I use the eyebrow trimmer ... it is the most fabulous thing ever!
                      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I usually do as Lilly and pick about every 5th stitch. Then I can just pull out the entire bobbin thread on the reverse side. I have used the eyebrow trimmer, but I must caution you. You need to hold the fabric firmly, use a very light hand and go slow. Once you cut a hole in your seam, you've got a problem. I would only do this on seams that are not sewn on the bias. It works very quickly!

On thing that helps me immensely is the magnified seam ripper with the light. It's a bit awkward to use at first, but you get used to it and it makes it so easy to see your stitches. I got one from Hancock fabrics for around $9. Here's a pic:

Holiday Gift Ideas: The Mighty Bright Lighted & Magnified Seam Ripper | Sew4Home

Comment

It depends on the fabric I have done it picking each stitch or sliding the blade , have screwed things up both ways so me no ifference. Hate ripping.
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I do it much like Iris. I do it both ways, every few stitches, and have slid the blade between to 2. I have no favorites....I will mess them up equally.
                            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                            sigpic

Comment

I use a eyebrow shaper / or pick every 3 - 5 stitches. If you use a binder clip on one of the pieces of fabric so it can hold it tight,it is super slick to use the eyebrow trimmer. It's kind of wedge shaped, and I kind of tat...tap...tap it down the seam.
                              sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

Working...
                              X