Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

@ Long Armers....what do you have and what do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ Long Armers....what do you have and what do you like?

I'm curious about long arm machines. Not that I could ever afford one...but I have seen some that have payment plans so who knows!

So...what is the best of the best? What is affordable and yet still good? I know Pat just got the Tin Lizzy...this seems like a reasonably priced (although still insane) long arm compared to some but I find pricing is hard to come by and almost non-existent in Canada.

If you have one, would you share with me what it is and what you like about it?
    What don't you like?
    If you could upgrade, would you and to what?
    If you could downgrade, would you?
    Are there features you have that you never use?
    Are there features you wish you had?
    Would you recommend buying used?

Anything I'm missing?
    Last edited by WendyI; April 13, 2014, 03:10 PM.

Re: @ Long Armers....what do you have and what do you like?

Well Wendy, seeing how mine is still sitting on top of the box it came in, I can't answer any of your questions. Except...it is a Tin Lizzy per the sales lady. Bought it at SewingMachinesPlus.com. Really wasn't a bad deal and it is $125/month for 4 years...no interest and no delivery fee (here in the U.S. anyway).
    LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Thanks Pat...not sure why I called you Rebecca originally! Lol! Sorry about that.

I can't believe you haven't got it all set up and running! You must be going bonkers waiting!

Comment

Pretty much! But my frame isn't here yet...supposed to be delivered tomorrow. The guys have about 1/2 the room dry-walled. Hopefully will finish it tomorrow. Bought the paint and the floor tile today. Slowly...but surely!
        LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

So excited for you!!

Comment

I have a Handiquilter and love it. It's user friendly and Handiquilter gives wonderful phone support. The frame has wheels which allow me to push it against the wall when not in use. I've used about every kind of thread on the machine with no problem. I like the stitch regulator and the Prostitcher very much. The Prostitcher is the little computer that sits on top of the machine and does computerized quilting. About all I have to do to use it is to push a button. I pick a quilting design, the program figures how big it should be according to the area it will go, I put the needle where I want the design to start and it stitches. It also has a laser so I can use pantographs, or I can quilt manually. I like the roller on the bottom that will hold a bolt of batting. There is nothing I don't like about it, and I would not trade the machine up or down. A new version of the Prostitcher has come out, but it requires a newer computer which is about $1000, and if I quilted a lot I'd upgrade the Prostitcher, but for as little quilting as I do the original version works well for me. My DH bought the Prostitcher for me as a Christmas gift a few years ago from a dealer in Oregon with a really great price. He stayed on the phone with us until we had it installed which was really easy.

Comment

I have a Babylock which is actually made by Handiquilter. I love it!!! It's easy to use, not picky about threads, any kind works & it's just plain fun to play with..
              I got mine at a quilt show, machine & frame, $250 per month & no interest or delivery charges.
              The only thing I would change is an upgrade on the frame. The new frames that come with the Handiquilter have a couple of features I like better than mine.
              I don't have the computerized model, but I don't really want it. I'm having too much fun doing it myself.
              May the road rise up to meet you...
              May the wind be always at your back...
              May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
              Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

How large of a quilt can your frame handle?
                Vonnie

Comment

I found in one of my latest quilt magazine... something called the "Block it Rockit"... a 14" I think,,, very affordable from Kathy quilts.. hasn't been out all that long, but it's on my list for the future...I have a Bailey,, it does what I need, but this Rockit has more speed and some better controls... worth checking out!!
                  "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                  that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I have a Grace King frame and need a machine to go with it. I bought the frame, looks brand new, from Craigs List for $150. I also am looking at the Block It Rockit, but have to look into if it fits on my frame. Guess that didn't really answer your question.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I have the APQS Millenium. I tested many machines at the Paducah quilt show and loved the Millenium,
                      One thing I don't love is the external bobbin winder. They used to have it attached to the head itself, but past customers said the preferred it separate....I'm not one of those.
                      The Millenium is the top of the line APQS machine, the only major upgrade would be to computerized, but I'm not interested in that. I would just rather hone my freehand skills...I mostly panto now.

If you could downgrade, would you? Nope!
                      I always use my stitch regulator, so I guess I never use the standard stitch function, lol. Other than that, I never use the bobbin refill indicator, I just don't find it to be that accurate.
                      There are a few things I have considered adding to my machine at one time or another....an M bobbin (larger bobbin that holds more thread, but can sometimes effect precision quilting) and micro handles (gets your hands closer to the needle and quilt for more accuracy, sort of the difference between holding a pencil close to the lead vs. closer to the eraser, lol).
                      Millenium machines are sold used all the time as the company upgrades often. APQS is family owned and offers great customer service. I've been very happy with them!

Hope this helps!
                      Piecing on Bernina 820
                      Longarm quilting on APQS Millenium

Please visit me at
                      My Blog "Peachy Pages".

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                        How large of a quilt can your frame handle?
                        Hi Vonnie
                        My frame is 10 feet wide, so I can do up to a queen size quilt. Comes in handy since I mostly do double or queen size quilts. Even my lap quilts seem to grow when I'm piecing them,,, not sure why LOL
                        May the road rise up to meet you...
                        May the wind be always at your back...
                        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                        Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

APQS offers their frames in 3 sizes: 10', 12', and 14'. I have the 12' and i can load a king size quilt on it.
                          Piecing on Bernina 820
                          Longarm quilting on APQS Millenium

Please visit me at
                          My Blog "Peachy Pages".

sigpic

Comment

I have baby lock. If I had to do it again I think I would have gone with handi-quilter. From what I have read on other sites baby lock dealers are either wonder or terrible. Mine is terrible.
                            Make sure to buy from a dealer who will be there to assist you after the purchase. Or google used long arm quilting machine.
                            I do like my baby lock. I work full time and it was hard to find the time to practice on it. So I bought the computer program. I alo bought the side winder bobbin winder as I did not like the bobbin winder that came with it.
                            This is definitely a machine that you would want to test drive before purchasing.

Comment

Vonnie, my frame will handle a king quilt. It can also be set up for a smaller quilt, but I don't remember offhand the size of the smaller one.

Comment

Working...
                              X