Embroidery designs for quilting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embroidery designs for quilting.

I'm curious to find out if anyone has used embroidery machine designs specially made for quilting on a quilt? Is it difficult or manageable?
    Mary :icon_popcorn:

Re: Embroidery designs for quilting.

I bought some at Embroidery Library. I haven't tried them out yet. They are only $1.00, but once in a while they have a half off sale for things in your wish list. So I bought about seven to play with
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I think they would be doable on smaller quilts or table runners. I have a few I bought from embroidery Library and haven't used them for anything 'real' yet.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have done a few quilts with the embroidery machine. I will stitch in the ditch first, then do each block and the borders. I find it takes more planning to quilt this way. I have trouble getting all the way to the edge when doing the all over designs.

Comment

What size quilts did you do this to?
          Mary :icon_popcorn:

Comment

Hey there... I have never understood people "trying to center" the emb. for a quilt square... right from the beginning when I got my emb machine.. I always did my design on an oversized piece of fabric... then measured from the center out to the size I wanted for my center (ie.. fussy cut style)... then sashed around it.. to make blocks for a quilt, pillow, tote.. anything really... or am I not understanding what you are all saying.... I just can never see "cutting a square to size",, then going nuts trying to center the design!!! I'm just lazy that way...
            "Each day well-lived and Happy;
            that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Not all the design you can buy are squares. There are squiggles. flowers, random stuff
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have done baby quilts and throws, I do the embroidery after I have done the quilting, I tried doing it first and just didn't like the results

Comment

I guess I'm not understanding... if you are putting it on fabric..to piece into . ...a quilt...why can't it be cut to size or shape after the embroidery ?
                  Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                  Not all the design you can buy are squares. There are squiggles. flowers, random stuff
                  "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                  that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I don't see why it couldn't ,

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Op is talking about doing this. just the lines.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...signs&tbm=isch
                      Last edited by Hulamoon; April 11, 2014, 05:15 PM.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

What I'm curious about is can you or do you use your EM for the actual quilting part? I understand embroidery on a block and piecing it into your quilt top but I am interested in what other ways you can use it and could you do a large quilt?
                        Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

I have quilted on baby quilts and throw size. I do have a commercial embroidery machine so I could do larger quilts also.
                          Grammababs, I think you are talking about putting designs on blocks and the making the quilt top. I'm talking about doing
                          the quilting after it's sandwiched. I agree that when I put designs on blocks I will cut to size after the embroidery.

Comment

I haven't tried doing a quilt sandwich. Not sure how well it would work. My Pfaff will take an Infinity Hoop and my LQS said I could use that for borders but not sure about the rest of the quilt. I would worry that the quilt would be too heavy and restrict the embroidery function from moving freely. So far locally the only quilts I have seen done on an embroidery machine were done block by block, then sewn together, sandwiched and stitched in the ditch. Very pretty but a little heavy with two layers of batting. If anyone has tried working on the sandwiched quilt on their domestic machine I would love to hear how it worked.
                            Ann

Comment

Originally posted by GrammaBabs View Post
                              I guess I'm not understanding... if you are putting it on fabric..to piece into . ...a quilt...why can't it be cut to size or shape after the embroidery ?
                              I think they mean a quilt design rather than flowers etc., something like feathers.

Comment

Working...
                              X