jelly roll tote bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jelly roll tote bag

Hi - I have started the jelly roll tote bag and am up to the part where I attach the outside to the batting. This is not a sandwich. I am quilting the outside of the bag to the batting. When I finished the first line of stitches, I could see that I will need to adjust the tension because the bottom thread is poking out through the top but also the batting was sort of scrunched up under the top. Is there anything else I need to do to my machine in order to do this correctly?
    Marilyn from New York City

Re: jelly roll tote bag

Are you using a walking foot?
    Preeti
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just made one / I do have a walking foot but didn't need it.....(they are helpful though). Check your tension / stitch length.
      ~ Debby

It's my life, it's now or never. I ain't gonna live forever. I just wanna live while I'm alive. It's MY LIFE!"

Jon Bon Jovi
      :icon_hi:

Comment

I have made many tote bags and didn't need a walking foot to quilt them. What type of batting are you using. I used scraps of Hobbs 80/20, it has a kind of coating on it so it won't tear when going through the feeddogs of the machine.

You sound like you are having tension issues. Make sure the machine is rethreaded, do this with the presser foot up, then lower to sew. Rethread the bobbin, and use a new needle. Check the tension and stitch length settings.

Comment

I remember one time I had a horrible time making the strap for my tote bag. Pulled out the user's manual and realized I was using the wrong size needle.

If you don't have the user manual, you should be able to find one online. Read the trouble shooting pages.

Lots of excellent ideas above from forum members. Hope you figure it out.
          Vonnie

Comment

Working...
          X