Adding a border after machine quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a border after machine quilting

After my last post, I viewed all the suggested videos and purchased the Machine Quilting in Sections book. However the only type of border I can add using the stitch and flip method listed in the book is a single fabric one. I have been pondering over how I could add a border that had a contrasting strip in the middle of it. I came up with the following idea that I think might work but I would love to hear any thoughts about it - especially any flaws that I have overlooked.

Here goes..... Join up the three sections of the border (plain; contrast strip; plain fabric) and add them to ONLY the top pieced fabric as you would if you were assembling the quilt before adding the batting and backing. Then attach the batting to the backing border piece (maybe spray it first) and attach it to ONLY the backing fabric of the quilt. Flip both the front border and the backing border out and then stitch in the ditch through all 6 layers. Also I could stitch in the ditch on both contrast fabric seams for added strength.

Where we I come unstuck? Or what would be a better way to go about it? Would love some help. Thanks again

Re: Adding a border after machine quilting

I think your method will work just fine. I took a Craftsy class on Quilting Big Quilts on a DSM. Ann Peterson was the instructor. One of her methods she called the medallion method where she quilted the center and added borders several times. What you described is pretty much the way that she did it.

Comment

That is the way I add a border. I like quilting apart of the large quilt and adding the next finished section.

Comment

Have you seen this method here: The Quilting Edge: Tutorial/QAYG #6/ Adding Borders

I think it would give you a nicer finish, as you don't have to sew through 6 layers.

Edit: This one could work as well: Lily's Quilts: Quilt As You Go ? joining the blocks
        But it is probably a bit more work intensive...
        Last edited by Cat77; April 11, 2014, 02:37 AM.

Comment

I QAYG and use the second method. Ha. Another one of those moments when I thought I came up with this idea. I should get out more often . . . or video my work. I could be famous.
          Sewing mends the soul.
          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I do it like Blondie does.... And felt like I invented something new, too. LOL. "Great minds" is how I feel right now.
            Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
            :icon_wave:

Comment

Well I finally finished this quilt! Phew! I quilted the pieced section by cutting off one third each side of the batting to begin with and then after I had finished quilting the centre piece, I attached each side sequentially and quilted them. I didn't use the fusible batting tape but stitched the batting back together using a fagot stitch on my machine. It worked well. I then attached the borders as I had planned. I am now confident to do all my large quilts this way. Thanks to all who sent links for me to check out. They certainly helped.Foliage Quilt.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X