quilting stitch in the ditch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilting stitch in the ditch

I saw a video where you sew a scant quarter inch around the quilt. Then you stitch in the ditch. Everytime I do that, I get puckering and some of the blocks are folded onto itself.

So my question is, if I pin random throughout the quilt, the stitch in the ditch this would reduce the need fro sewing the scant quarter inch around the quilt. Am I missing something? I have enough backing and batting that I don't worry about shifting.

Re: quilting stitch in the ditch

I know some people stitch around the edge but the one time I tried that I had to rip it all out because it caused puckers. I have done fmq up to king size on my machine and I always start stitching in the middle and then work in quarters. For SITD I would start in one corner for diagonal stitching or in the middle of a side for straight stitching.
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

quarter inch around the quilt edge???
      or quarter inch from the ditch?

The usual way is to quilt in the center and move outwards.
      Preeti
      http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

You will need to baste your quilt together to keep it flat while you quilt it. Here us a good video about pin basting. However, I pin my quilt tops by placing a pin the width of my fist.

You can also thread baste or you could spray baste.

The top and back will shift during quilting if you don't baste it somehow.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

I never stitch around the edge of the quilt before it is quilted. I pin baste, then quilt from the center out, then repin my edges, making sure the layers are perfectly flat. I pin very close together easing out any fullness that has developed in either top or bottom layer. When I stitch around the edges, I make sure my corners are perfectly aligned, pulling them out before starting to stitch. I also place my left hand horizontally across my borders and edges about 2" in front of the walking foot, gently flattening the edges as I sew. I end up with no puckers this way, occasionally a tiny 1/16" pucker in my last corner, which I cover up with my binding! Then I use my rotary cutter and ruler to trim the edges 1/4" from the stitching.

I think some newbee quilters have trouble with getting a smooth binding because they don't sew around the perimeter of the quilt before they attempt the binding. Never skip this step! IMHO!

Comment

Once I have lined everything up, spray basted and press it back and front so all is lined up as perfect as I can ger, I do stitch with a long stich around the edge of last border. This keeps the fabric from pulling back in and not being straight anymore. I then start my quilting from the middle. So far, so good. Sometime a little crease that is easy to flatten out as I quilt.
            Karen
            Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Originally posted by vchale View Post
              I know some people stitch around the edge but the one time I tried that I had to rip it all out because it caused puckers. I have done fmq up to king size on my machine and I always start stitching in the middle and then work in quarters. For SITD I would start in one corner for diagonal stitching or in the middle of a side for straight stitching.
              I agree. I never saw the point of the stitch around the whole quilt. I just spray and pin and always, no matter what I am doing.. I start in the middle and work out to the sides. I do that first with the pinning and then with the FMQ'ing. I sew whatever way I am doing..right down the middle..then work either from top to bottom/bottom to top or in quarters..how ever the pattern and the FMQ style works best. I hardly ever have pucker issues and if I do, it is because I didn't pull the fabric smooth enough when I was pinning.
              Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

The only time I stitch around the quilt (1/8" from edge) is when there is a lot of bias on the edge and I only do this to the quilt top not after it's sandwiched.

I like to spray baste my quilts. Then after spray basting, I like to iron it - more like pressing - don't want to distort it. But applying heat helps with the spray basting. I pin around the edges just so they don't catch on anything and pull apart.
                Vonnie

Comment

I always sew around the edge of the quilt sandwich before beginning any quilting. It helps to secure the sandwich. I use a wavy, long basting stitch, so there are spaces in between so the sandwich lays flatter & doesn't pucker. The lady who does my LAQ always sews a basting stitch around the perimeter of the quilt before quilting. I think this is standard procedure. JCY

Comment

I've watched at least a dozen videos on machine quilting and not one of them sewed around the edge first. I have never heard of that before. I can see it causing all sorts of problems. As long as the sandwich is smoothed out correctly and basted very well it should not pucker.

Comment

Working...
                    X