Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread

Ok .. I'm dragging my feet starting my first "real" quilt. I want everything to be "perfect" before I begin (so I don't have any excuses?)

My question today ... is there a website that you can look up recommended thread color based on your fabric choice? Or am I making this too hard (I have a habit of doing that too.)

I have Moda Hubba Bubba pre-cuts and I plan to make the Five & Dime quilt.

Thanks Everyone!
    June in KS

Re: Thread

For piecing I always use a neutral color. Usually white or some shade of cream. For darker colors I might use a gray. I don't think it matters much until you get to the final quilting stage. I found this a big change to make after sewing garments and always trying to match the color. For appliqué you would want something that blended in with the fabric on the top if you're doing a blanket stitch with your machine.
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Aha - a thread about thread...
      You are trying to be perfect (giggle). Ok, I wish you luck.
      Yes, you are making this too hard. This is supposed to be fun, remember?

Take a deep breath. It will be fine :-)
      Preeti
      http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I matched colors best I can and as best as the quilt allows. You can't go wrong matching. But if it is a dark being sewn to a light, I always struggle which do I do..match the light or the dark! I decided to match the light as darks show up more than lights so hopefully that will be how it works out! If a busy print, match or just use a neutral.
        Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

For piecing a top I was told by someone to use light gray for light fabrics and dark gray for dark fabrics. When it comes time to quilt the top I like to take it to the fabric store and hold up thread against it.

If I don't buy the thread then and there at least I know what colors to look at online.

Don't expect your quilt to come out perfect. It's the little mistakes that make a quilt personal. All my quilts are quite personal

Comment

Originally posted by jlpkansas View Post
            Ok .. I'm dragging my feet starting my first "real" quilt. I want everything to be "perfect" before I begin (so I don't have any excuses?)

My question today ... is there a website that you can look up recommended thread color based on your fabric choice? Or am I making this too hard (I have a habit of doing that too.)

I have Moda Hubba Bubba pre-cuts and I plan to make the Five & Dime quilt.

Thanks Everyone!
            June in KS
            June,

I understand your wish and desire to make it perfect. Just remember perfection is generally not reality. I suggest you pick up the material and start working.

I laugh about perfection, I'm working on my first Block of the Month quilt. I followed the instructions to the letter on my first block. I thought there was a step missing, but I did it the way the instructions said. There were flying geese and I should have trimmed the excess off so the pieces weren't so thick. Well after getting to the shop to pick up the next block (we have to take our completed block in and do a scavenger hunt to get the next block), There were a couple of others that had done the same thing as I did. After much consultation with people who had quilted much longer than I, we decided I would need to "Make the same mistake" in the rest of the blocks. LOL, so I will have a mistake in ever square no matter how good they look.

Comment

Only God makes perfect things. Amish Saying
              Preeti
              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I always use white...but I like a lot of white fabrics in my quilts so I guess this is why? I agree with greys and neutrals but until you are actually quilting I don't think it matters much...you're not going to see it anyway. It's hidden behind. So...I use white.

Comment

June...Ha Ha. I'm chuckling because I am relatively new to this myself and YES, wanted all the supplies, templates, scissors, rotary cutter, etc. before I began anything. Don't sweat it / just jump in and DO remember, even the sewing / quilting will not be perfect...but that's OK. I know Jenny said in one of her tutorials that she doesn't die over it (or words to that effect). Check out my gallery pictures. I've been gung ho for about 3 months now and have material just waiting on me. Just finishing up 2 tumbler baby quilts (she's having twins...one of each). Pictures up soon.
                  and HAVE FUN! Welcome!
                  ~ Debby

It's my life, it's now or never. I ain't gonna live forever. I just wanna live while I'm alive. It's MY LIFE!"

Jon Bon Jovi
                  :icon_hi:

Comment

Working...
                  X