grrrrrr!!! When I cut strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grrrrrr!!! When I cut strips

No matter how careful I cut strips there is always a bow at the fold when I open the strip. Any help would be appreciated.
    The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love

Re: grrrrrr!!! When I cut strips

You could try starching it then iron, or you could cut the bow out and sew the strips back together on the diagonal.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

I think Jenny said something about bowing but I don't remember what it was. Maybe someone else can help you here.
      :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

are you referring to after sewing strips together? if that is it jenny said make sure to sew up one side and down the other when putting strips together. if you're referring only to cutting i'm not sure what is happening.
        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

I used to have the same problem, until I purchased the June Taylor Shape Cut Plus Ruler. I have attached a YouTube Link so you can see a demonstration. The ruler she is using is 12 inches wide, I prefer the 18 inch Plus. One hint, make sure you have your fabric folded evenly, especially on the folds. The ruler is a little pricey, and when the teacher in a class I took said we had to have one I debated on making the investment. I am oh so glad I did. Good Luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETsJf2nNQE
          Robin
          My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

I think it happens when you don't have a smooth fold
            Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

If your fabric isn't straight when you fold it you will get the bow. You need to make sure it is straight. To do this you are going to want to iron it, bring the selvedge edges together and shift the fabric right or left until it hangs straight. You can see this when you look at it. If it is straight when you cut you won't have a bow.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

Auntiemern gave you the correct answer. If your fabric is NOT square you'll get that curve at the fold in all your strips.

Comment

make sure the selvedge edges are lined up even before you cut , you may lose fabric when squaring it up , but this happens.
                  sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                  Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                  Sigmund Freud

Comment

I've finally figured out that if you take your fabric and hold it up with the selvages vertical to the floor you can easily see if the selvages are lined up properly. Also, working with shorter lengths of fabric makes this job easier as well. I have a tendency to try and work with loooong yardage. It's cumbersome. If you cut off about a yard to a yard-and-a-half of fabric and work with that instead of many yards of fabric you'll have an easier time managing that alignment. I know, I know! You're afraid you'll waist fabric cutting it off. Forget that fear. You end up waisting more fabric having to set aside bowed strips. Even using the shape-cut rulers as suggested you won't get straight strips if those folds are not lined up properly.
                    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Your fabric is out of square. Here's a video demonstrating how to square up your fabric How to Square Up Your Fabric

Comment

I totally agree with Rebecca about working with to much fabric. I was squaring up fabric yesterday and found myself struggling. On one piece I needed to get rid of some raggety end stuff (I had done some fussy cuts) so I ripped it. Even doing that doesn't even it out. I had to cut another 1/2 '' off.

I was so used to doing clothing and didn't bother with squaring. Cutting strips and squares is a whole different world!
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thanks Marsharini for the link to squaring up fabric. I know where I am going wrong now. lol

Marion

Comment

When working with a lot of yardage, I lay my fabric out on my bed and use my long ruler (6X24) and roll/fold my fabric on it. When cutting the fabric, I keep the rolled/folded part to my right just off the cutting mat.

I always line up my fabric with the fold closest to me. I line up one of the lines on the ruler with the fold. That first cut is really weird looking at the top because I scoot the ruler until there is enough fabric at the top to make a full cut. This means there might be some waste on the bottom left. I cut then continue to cut leaving the first one alone. When I'm done cutting as much as my mat will allow, I remove the cut strips, then I rotate my mat and line up my ruler on the cut edge of that first piece and trim off the wonky looking side.
                            Vonnie

Comment

It's da grain! You must straighten the grain of the fabric. Sometimes this means that the selvage does not line up equally.

Comment

Working...
                              X