another 9 patch question please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another 9 patch question please

So the pattern that was show in the original image shows 8 coloured blocks with a white one in the center, then white sashing and a cornerstone.

I bought a half yard of each of the fabrics (pictured below) and three yards of the white. How do I figure out the following:

1. Should I cut my squares to 3 inches or 5? I think in the original pic the squares are 3 inches??
    2. Given that I have a half yard of each the colours, how big a quilt will that make? Not looking for huge anyway but wondering if I will have enough for a decent sized lap quilt?
    3. How wide should my sashing/cornerstones be (prior to sewing)?

TIA xox

fabrics.jpg

Re: another 9 patch question please

Oh..and also...should I use a completely different solid fabric for the cornerstones?

Comment

I would cut the squares at 5 inches the size of charms. Yes I would do a totally different fabric for the cornerstones. I usually make my sashing 2.5 inches, so cornerstones at 2.5 square. Math is not liking me so can't tell you how big this would make a quilt sorry. Hope I have been some help.
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

you sure have! Thanks! I think I'll just start cuttin and see how many I end up with.

Comment

If my math is correct, you should get 65 three inch squares and 40 five inch squares from each half yard of material. I would go with the three inch sqs. and a 2.5 inch sashing. Cornerstones in a completely different fabric also. Give me a few minutes and I can figure the sizes! Takes a little time!
          sigpic

Comment

CORRECTION, That is 24, not 40, five inch sqs. per 1/2 yd. Sorry, going for another cup of coffee!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
              CORRECTION, That is 24, not 40, five inch sqs. per 1/2 yd. Sorry, going for another cup of coffee!
              LOL! Thanks doll...you're awesome! Enjoy your coffee! I'm going to start squaring up my fabrics and start.

Comment

5x24=120 patches from 5 different 1/2 yd fabrics
                5x65=325 patches from 5 different 1/2 yd fabrics
                3" nine patch =
                8" finished patch
                5" nine patch =
                14" finished patch
                Someone double check me please.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
                  5x24=120 patches from 5 different 1/2 yd fabrics
                  5x65=325 patches from 5 different 1/2 yd fabrics
                  3" nine patch =
                  8" finished patch
                  5" nine patch =
                  14" finished patch
                  Someone double check me please.
                  You're doing great on your own, doll! Looks great!

Comment

ok..mathematically challenged here...what is the significance of the 5 x 14 and 2 x 25 numbers?

Comment

I'm with Wendy here...what is the formula for figuring out how many blocks you can get out of a yard of material??? I'm one to just start cutting and sewing and hoping I have enough
                      LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Originally posted by WendyI View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73048[/ATTACH]
                        I have that fabric on the bottom...just love it! The other fabrics you chose go with it so well.
                        LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Width of fabric (I usually use 40") divided by the size of square (3", 5", etc) gives you the # of squares you can get from a strip of fabric cut across the width. The length of the fabric in inches (9", 18", 36", etc) divided by the size of the square gives you the number of rows of squares you can get from the length.

From a yard of fabric you can get:
                          Up to 156 - 3" squares (40/3=13 squares per row, 36/3=12 rows, 13 x 12=156 squares)
                          Up to 56 - 5" squares (40/5=8 squares per row, 36/5=7 rows, 8 x 7 = 56 squares)

Of course, this all depends on how accurately your yardage is cut since length will be lost when squaring the ends.
                          *~* Myrna *~*
                          *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Originally posted by WendyI View Post
                            ok..mathematically challenged here...what is the significance of the 5 x 14 and 2 x 25 numbers?
                            Were you asking about the 5x24=120 and the 5x65=325? The 5 is the number of 1/2 yd fabrics you have and the 24 is the number of 5" squares you can cut from each so you would get 120 total 5" squares from all 5 fabrics. The 65 is the number of 3" squares and the 325 is the number of 3" squares you can cut from all 5 patterns. Next you would divide by 8 if you're doing a 9p with white in the middle and that would tell you how many blocks you could make so 120/8 =15. 9 p with 5" blocks =13-1/2" .
                            Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Working...
                            X