Having trouble with a tied baby quilt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble with a tied baby quilt!

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and have a problem with a tied baby quilt tearing apart at the seams after many washes? I used 100% cotton fabrics and 100% polyester thread (Mettler Metrosene Plus), DMC embroidery floss tied in corners every 4.5", polyester high loft batting (6oz airtex), Roclon bleached muslin backing. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!
    TornQuilt1.jpg

Re: Having trouble with a tied baby quilt!

I used to have the same problem. A tip from Leah Day on uTulbe tutorials was to shorten my stitch length. My default was 2.5, and she recommends 1.5. It takes a little bit more to take out a seam but worth it to me...
    Have a Sewonderful Day,
    Mary T.

Comment

Thank you Mary I will try it... I've been sewing and selling/gifting these for over 10 years and never had this problem... so as you can imagine how terrible I feel and wondering how many more have torn like this that I am not aware of!! Yikes!!

Comment

Is that flannel? I've seen this happen with a pillowcase that someone made for my daughter out of flannel. Not sure why...

Comment

I find using the 1/4" seam can be scary when using flannel or loosly woven cotton. Also, because ther is so much shifting of the top and batting while washing a tied quilt, the seams had better be very tight or eventually they will come loose. If it were quilted with stitching, things wouldn't move that much in the wash. If you don't tie closely, all that batting shifts and is very heavy while in the washer, causing lots of pressure on the seams to hold. I'm sure that is the reason this happened.

Comment

If you have a serger, maybe, in the future sew the seams with the serger.

For now, how about attaching an applique over that area.
            Vonnie

Comment

no this one is not flannel... but I have made some with flannel and they are fine as far as I know...

Comment

I think I have to agree with Jean as far as tied quilts. I would definitely shorten the stitch length, and even make my seams a little wider, maybe 3/8". For the quilt in the pic, I would probably put an applique over the area or areas that have come loose.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks so much ladies! I am going to shorten my stitch and reinforce it with a zig-zag stitch. I am also considering a 3/8" wide seam as well. Someone mentioned a serger? I have been quilting for over 35 years and never used one but I would be open to it... so if anyone has some advise on what brand and how it works for quilt making... please share!!

Comment

Babylock has a self threading serger.
                    Vonnie

Comment

so, Mary I made a couple of test quilts with the smaller stitch... and it does make a big difference!! I am also considering reinforcing the seams with a zig zag stitch... what is your thought on this and do you think it is necessary?? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                      X