Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to recreate this diamond quilt

Hi again all!

I have another question for you geniuses! My mom has a quilt that was my grandmother's - it's a diamond pattern.

here's a link to a picture of the quilt I am talking about:
    http://www.pavoninestudios.com/diamond_quilt.jpg

If you read my other post you know that our quilts have to be put together in sections so that my mom can work on them by hand, without a hoop or frame. So my first question is, would it be possible to put a quilt like this together in rows/strips (as opposed to blocks), if I am super careful about the bias edges? Also, does anyone have any thoughts as to where I might find a pattern or some other tool (software perhaps? an app?) that would help me in the layout of it?

She really REALLY wants to recreate this pattern...and I want to help her make it happen!
    Attached Files

Re: Want to recreate this diamond quilt

i'm fairly new at this, but if you look up elenor burns she has a strip piecing method. i believe you would cut on a angle then you could make the diamonds in rows.look her up and search strip pieced diamonds. good luck.
    :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

If I'm not mistaken I think this type of quilt is put together in strips. I would think that if you construct it in sections of strips that your mom could manage, that would work. I would try to fit in as many row of strips as you think she can manage so you don't have so many sections to sew together at the end. You would need to make sure she doesn't quilt into the seams otherwise you won't be able to sew the sections together in the end. I would probably mark the seams for her with a wash-out fabric marker. Test your fabrics with it first to make sure the marker comes out.

There are a number of tutorials on quilt-as-you-go on Youtube if you're not sure how that process is accomplished. However, for your quilt their method doesn't quite work since it involves adding stripping on the front and back of the quit to hide the raw seams. I have also seen this technique done where the two pieces are sewn together the usual way and just one strip is applied over the raw seams on the back of the quilt. It might be slightly bulky at the seams but with the thin cotton battings it might work out just fine. I would try a small sample first to make sure it met with my satisfaction.

Here's a pretty nifty tool for making the diamond shape if you're doing a super scrappy quilt. http://www.fonsandporter.com/article..._Pyramids?bc=c

Here's the faster way using the strip piecing method for diamonds.
      from the blue chair: Diamonds the cheater way

I won't lie. This isn't going to be an easy quilt to make, but if you are determined you can do it. Just put on your "patience" hat.
      Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; April 9, 2014, 01:33 AM.
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Does this help with the construction?

Moda Bake Shop: Sweet Baby Diamonds Quilt

........ and it does seem to be done in sections. Not sure how you would bring it together though except for the quilt-as-you-go method. Never tried that - it scares me. Good luck

Comment

[QUOTE=apeacock;505595 So my first question is, would it be possible to put a quilt like this together in rows/strips (as opposed to blocks), if I am super careful about the bias edges? Also, does anyone have any thoughts as to where I might find a pattern or some other tool (software perhaps? an app?) that would help me in the layout of it?

[/QUOTE]

You don't really need a tool or app for the layout of this diamond quilt. As shown in the picture the diamonds line up horizontally. So just count across each horizontal row for how many diamonds of that color you need. You can buy a diamond template to cut the diamonds with. The easiest way is to take the whole quilt to the store and lay the template on the actual quilt to figure out what size diamond template you need.

Cut the diamonds, and lay them out on your design wall. Then you assemble the quilt in diagonal rows.

Here is the first example of how to assemble diagonal rows quilts I could find (just in case you haven't done diagonal rows before.)

Setting Triangles, Sashing and Baby Quilt Assembly
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

The easiest way to piece it would be to strip piece. You would lay out your strips in the order of the diamond rows and sew the strips together. (I work with 1/2 of a WOF strip so they don't get wonky.) Those are 60 degree diamonds so you can cut the strips on the diagonal using the 60 degree line on your ruler. No special tools needed. You could sew about 6 rows of diamonds together (piecing on the diagonal) then add batting slightly larger than the top piece and backing at least 2 inches larger. You don't need sashing. After quilting sew the top sections together with a 1/4 inch seam and trim the batting so the edges butt together. On the back, trim the edge of backing on one section to 1/4 inch, turn under the backing of the next section, trimming as necessary, and hand sew. I have done several quilts this way many years ago. When you get to the sections down the center that are very long you could make smaller sections of these. Does this make sense to you? It is really not difficult, just takes a lot of preplanning.

Comment

If I ever do the diamond quilt similar to your picture, which I love, it would have to be that strip method. The others would take Fureverrrrrrr!! I would never get done. HA Loved that Blue chair site. Have been sewing with Kona solids lately and the colors are just yummmmmyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brenda

Comment

I'm not sure, but there is something called "Seminole piecing" that runs at an angle... if you do a search it might come up.. it always fascinated me...
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Thank you Barb - the method you describe is the one I plan to use. I found a really bad copy of a video on youtube with Georgia Bonesteel and this is the method she employs as well. I have found copies of her books and they are going to be here soon, I hope. the main thing that this method will allow, I think, as opposed to other quilt as you go methods, is that her stitching will be visible on the back side too, which is very important to her. thanks for your support!

Comment

I used the strip method to make 2 Lonestar quilts. They go together very quickly. Have fun with it.
                    LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Working...
                    X