Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner TRYING to do math.... It's not working. Help Please?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner TRYING to do math.... It's not working. Help Please?!?!

Hello everyone . I have a quick question, I think. I am working on my first quilt and I think I'm on the right path in terms of the correct size. I am making a disappearing 9 patch and my finished block before being sewn into the patchwork itself is 6 1/2". I am planning on making it 120" x 120" for a King bed. So my question is, do I take the 120" divided by the 6.5" measurement or would I use 6". And would I be correct in taking that number times itself (20 x 20 = 400)? So I will need a total of 400 6" finished blocks to make a King size quilt?

:icon_wave:Mindy - The Determined Scrapper:icon_woohoo:

http://thedeterminedscrapper.blogspot.com

Re: Beginner TRYING to do math.... It's not working. Help Please?!?!

If you have a finished block at 6 inches, and you have 400 blocks, it will measure 120x120. At least that is what EQ7 tells me when I entered the block size and the layout was 20x20.
    Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
    Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Comment

I think you are the right track - since your finished size is 120" you would divide by the finished size of the block 6". Is the 6" finished the size of 1/4 of the 9 patch or is it the size of the square making up the 9 patch? Not sure if I stated that clearly either. Are you starting with 6 1/2 inch squares, making a 9 patch and then cutting it in fourths?

I don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but if you are planning on quilting this yourself, you might want to start with a couple of table runners first. I love your enthusiasm and wanting to do a king size, but for a first quilting project, that is a lot of material to be quilting, especially on a home sewing machine. I also jumped right into the deep end and have not completed the queen size that I started, but have completed lots of other smaller projects. Will get that queen size finished at some point.
      Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

If you have an iPhone, do yourself a favour and download The Robert Kaufman quilting app. It really helps me a lot with the math. Not sure if it would help with this specific question but thought I would mention it. its very helpful! Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Thanks Lisa. The 6" block would be after it is in my quilt top. The 9 patch was cut into 4 pieces of 6.5" Yes, I know I am taking on a VERY VERY large task of trying to complete this as my first project, but I am a go big or go home type of girl. I already have over 250+ blocks cut and 21 more 9 patches to finish cutting. There are so many things that I want to do but I will not start another project until this one is complete. As hard as it may be.
          20140330_195746.jpg 20140330_202201.jpg
          :icon_wave:Mindy - The Determined Scrapper:icon_woohoo:

http://thedeterminedscrapper.blogspot.com

Comment

Looks good so far Mindy, go for it. Be prepared to make a few mistakes, just know it's all part of the learning curve, just enjoy the journey. And yes, welcome to the forum!
            sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

I am a jump right in person too. I have not done small projects yet, although there are several on my project list. Looks like you are doing great. Remember any mistakes are a learning experience. I am looking forward to see your progress. It will look great.
              Karen
              Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

It looks like you've gotten the answers you need. I am never one to offer math advice. Your quilt will be awesome when completed.
                Good work.
                Sewing mends the soul.
                sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Since you are new to quilting I highly recommend you make at least one smaller quilt before tackling a King. Why not make a lap size D9P so you get familiar with the sewing and cutting of the block. 400 is a LOT of blocks. You could cut down the number of the blocks some by adding borders.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                  X