Does anyone work with fleece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone work with fleece?

I have been asked to use a fleece panel and make a quilt should I continue with all fleece? could I mix it with flannel? Would cotton even be feasible? The quilting is another issue due to stretching. any help would be appreciated.

Re: Does anyone work with fleece?

Sorry, but the only thing I have done with fleece is the no-sew tie blankets. I just wanted to wish you luck and bump this up on the list of posts.
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

There is one woman in our charity group that works with fleece. I've never seen her mix it with any other type of fabric, and I'm not sure how you would do so, considering how thick it is. Our fleece quilter pieces her quilts by zig-zagging the "blocks" (i.e. pieces) together. She then layers a solid piece of fleece on the back, quilts it by tying it, and finishes it by bringing the back around to the front for a binding appearance. Our quilts are all tied, including the fleece ones, so I can't help you with any other quilting.

Comment

I've used fleece as the back.. a thinner fleece and not that stretchy kind. It works very well and makes the back really cuddley and soft. FMQ's just fine too!
        Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I would not mix the fleece and cottons together in patches or blocks. There's too much stretch and a considerable weight difference. I'm not even sure if you used all fleece how it would act trying to piece. In my mind, it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

With that being said, I made a quilt for my dog. The top was Puppy Love charm pack (cotton) and I used a piece of polar fleece for the backing. I used only minimal straight stitch to join the layers and did encounter stretching on the crosswise grain of the fleece, but kept that under control using a walking foot and looser tension on the presser foot. It's a cute quilt, but heavy. My dog likes it but I found it hot & heavy.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...e-backing.html

Comment

I've used fleece for rag quilts, 2 layers only...nice and warm!
            TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

I have only used it as backing. I also used spray adhesive to help with the shifting while quilting.

I would not mix it with other fabrics on the top of the quilt.

How big is the panel?
              Vonnie

Comment

Thanks for all the comments, anyone else with any experience?

Comment

I have used fleece as a backing to cotton quilts. It works very well. I used spray basting that held it together. You don't have to quilt closely at all with fleece. I have done binding both ways, but I like the regular binding method better than pulling the fleece to the top for binding.

Comment

I have put that on the back of baby quilts. You will need to pre wash both flannels, & Fleece.
                    IMG952471.jpg
                    IMG957655.jpg
                    Have a Sewonderful Day,
                    Mary T.

Comment

I've made several fleece backed rag quilts with flannel for the front and warm and white for the middle. They are very heavy, but durable. I wash them weekly. I have never prewashed any of the fabrics. It is a stretchy, fuzzy mess to sew with, but.............DH loves them. I start with larger squares of the fleece and quilt it normally with an X and then square up and make the rag quilt. They are used daily
                      2013-06-02_09.07.15.jpgSAM_6141.jpgSAM_6998.jpg
                      Hope this helps you out.
                      sigpic

Comment

do you need to prewash cotton if using fleece backing? and if using fleece do need a batting too?

Comment

Working...
                        X