I need the perfect white fabric!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need the perfect white fabric!

Greetings all! I am new to the forum and am jumping right in with a question.

My mom and I are currently in the planning stages of making a quilt. This will be done in sections that will be put together (ala Georgia Bonesteel) later on. I get to do the piecing and she is going to hand quilt it. Because she is going to hand quilt it without a hoop or frame (due to her eyesight and a bunch of other reasons) and because she's got a touch of arthritis in her hands, we have been trying to find just the right white fabric that doesn't seem too difficult to get her needle through. I have so far bought Moda Muslin mates and Kona - both of which are a touch heavier that we wanted. I just thought maybe some of you wise folks would have some ideas about what else we might try...

thanks so much!

Amy

Re: I need the perfect white fabric!

Welcome Amy! It seems like the less expensive fabrics are typically thinner and lighter weight, so if you are looking for something thinner you might want to check out the muslins and white fabrics at Joann Fabric or Walmart, if you have either of those near you. The quilt shop quality fabrics like Moda are usually a bit thicker/heavier, if I'm generalizing!

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    Susan
    ---Susan---

"When life gives you scraps - make a quilt!"

Comment

I think the Moda Bella is lighter weight than Kona or the Moda Muslin Mates! Try a charm pack to test it out, it has a lovely soft feeling! And welcome to the forum!

Comment

I was going to say the same thing as Jean about the Bella white. It may not be thinner, but it is certainly softer than the Kona and easier to needle through.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

The DD today is a nice white! https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/dailydeal

Comment

Today's DD is like Kona, a nice bright white but not as soft as Bella white.

Comment

Thanks Susan! I had some RocLon muslin (from JoAnn) hanging about and so Imade up a little test square of that - it seems ok but I am fairly certain that JoAnn carries at least one other brand of muslin. I also have one that is a darker color - not the usual unbleached variety - and it seems...more smooth and so my hope is to go back and see about some of that same brand in the white...

Comment

The Moda Bella is so nice and soft. It would be my choice.

Comment

Working...
                X