Binding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding question

If you have a quilt that has different colors on borders (like a landscape quilt when the sky is blue and the grass is green) did you bind it all in one color??

image.jpg
    I'm thinking of trying to bind it in 2 colors to blend into the borders but I'm not sure how it would look and how hard it would be to figure our exactly how much of each color was needed and making sure the colors line up on the borders...
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Re: Binding question

Are you trying to match the binding to match the border colors? Could you use the color you used for the tree for the whole thing? It s really stinking cute! Love it!

Comment

I agree with Jean. Do you have enough of the tree fabric to make binding?
      Vonnie

Comment

Love your quilt!

Because I love to use stripes with children's quilts, I have stocked up on Michael Miller's Clown Stripes. They come in all different flavors and I hope he never quits making them!

View All - Missouri Quilt Co. have 2 choices and another one of my favorite shops (who allows you to order in 1/2 yds...which I love (LOL ) and they have 20 color choices Hawthorne Threads search: Clown Stripe

Sorry, I reread your post and now I understand that you were talking about the 2 colors in your quilt....LOL, when I read two colors, I thought of stripes...sorry.
        Last edited by Slokarma; April 7, 2014, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Not sure how to figure it, but I have seen quilts where the border matched each section of the landscape. But I agree the tree color would be great.
          Karen
          Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

if you started near where the blue and green met, and used blue up and across and down near the other side where they meet, then use a green piece of binding for the bottom. after you have these sewn on you can join the binding on both sides as close to the place they meet.
            you would be using 2 separate pieces of binding and then joining them
            Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

It can be done, just takes extra planning. We normally measure the total borders and add some inches, so do that for the 2 different colors. Try it and you'll be improving your skill as a quilter! You can do it! Worst that can happen is you get out your seam ripper. ;-)
              Carol in southwest Michigan

Spread JOY!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                Are you trying to match the binding to match the border colors? Could you use the color you used for the tree for the whole thing? It s really stinking cute! Love it!
                Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                I agree with Jean. Do you have enough of the tree fabric to make binding?
                Yes.

I also have the dots that I used in the bear, and the stripes I used for the beaver/chipmunk looking thing, and the tree trunk fabric.

I'll audition them to see which I like, and if I don't like them, I'll try the 2 colors. Like someone said, the worst that can happen is I have to get out the seam ripper.
                "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

I really like your quilt! The borders are awesome. Binding is not that hard . Just start out leaving a 10" tail where you plan to color change at the grass.
                  Then using the tutioral from Jenny attaching the sky color to grass (at the point of ending in tutioral.) Continue going around sky then use the methond to finish where you started. Using a binding ruler makes the joinings bias ( the seam looks like this / ) mush easier.

The Amazing Binding Tool Demo with Sue Brown | Always Great, Always Free Quilting Tutorials

I hope that doesn't confuse you
                  try some practice ones. I always practice on old yuck fabric...LOL Just add a little to your measurment like 10" or what ever the binging tool asks for. Jenny also said how ever wide your binding is to overlap the ends of binging that much and make your joining seam from that. I always mess up that way and sew the seam wrong... Angleiing challanged like Jenny...LOL
                  Have a Sewonderful Day,
                  Mary T.

Comment

My first thought was the tree fabric also..........like Jean said.......the quilt is too stinking cute!
                    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I'm with Jean! Contrasting is going to look really pretty! Yes, it is stinkin' cute!
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

You know what also might look nice ..... Susie's Magic binding using both the blue from the sky and the green from the grass. You pick one to be your focal fabric and the other as your accent color. Here is the link: 52 Quilts in 52 Weeks: Tuesday Tutorial: Susie's Magic Binding. I used it recenlty on a carpenter star pattern where I couldn't decide what color binding to use and it turned out really nice. I have a pic of it in my album if you want to take a look.
                        My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

How darling! The first thing I thought was black to match the frame around the animals.
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Annav View Post
                            You know what also might look nice ..... Susie's Magic binding using both the blue from the sky and the green from the grass. You pick one to be your focal fabric and the other as your accent color. Here is the link: 52 Quilts in 52 Weeks: Tuesday Tutorial: Susie's Magic Binding. I used it recenlty on a carpenter star pattern where I couldn't decide what color binding to use and it turned out really nice. I have a pic of it in my album if you want to take a look.
                            Annav has a good idea, I think that would look really cute! I've used this method and it's so worth the extra effort! You can check out my album too if you'd like, I've done a couple.

Whatever you choose will be great, because it's so stinkin' cute!
                            sigpic

Comment

Another vote for the tree fabric binding. I can't imagine the headaches caused by trying to match the border to the binding. And nobody would even notice, most likely.

Comment

Working...
                              X