Border Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border Help Needed

I made this quilt for my niece's high school graduation but I am having trouble deciding on a border. I need to add to it so she can use it for a quilt/bedspread and not just a blanket. According to the Eleanor Burns pattern I used, I am to use the same fabric as the fussy cut square. I have plenty of the fabric but I'm worried it will make it too busy. What are your thoughts? Too busy? Too "grandma'ish" with the flowers? I've thought of taking the narrow green border off and just adding a larger white border. I sure could use some advice!

photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Re: Border Help Needed

Your square fabric is beautiful and I think will be a perfect border than maybe green for the binding. The quilt is really pretty. She will love it
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I think the floral border will work, especially since it has a striped background. The darker polka dotted fabric would be great for binding too.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

I think the floral border will look great. I don't think it will look fussy.

Comment

The floral is pretty, but I think to keep it on a younger feel I might go with either the green or orange fabric.
          :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Comment

I like the flowers! I made a D9P from a charm pack and it came out so nice. Not grama at all.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I like a print for my wide border. I'd leave the green and add the floral. If those are colors she likes, she will like it.

Good Job btw. Very pretty.

Comment

I'd leave the green, add a thin white and then add a 3or4" floral boarder and bind with the green. It's very feminine looking...but not grandma'ish. Might make her a throw pillow with the floral too if you have it. Great job!
                LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

I agree with brook that the flowers would give the quilt an "older" feel.
                  I'd leave the green border and add a border of one of the orangey fabrics (or both, depending on how much more you want to add) and the other as binding.
                  Or: Take of the green, add one of the orange fabrics, then a narrow one of the flower fabric, then orange again and bind off with the green.

Comment

I like the floral! This is just as yummy as a summer ice cream float! Just beautiful! What fabric? Is it Ellie Ann?

Comment

Very pretty. Is that the Pink Lemonade pattern?

I also vote for the floral for the border and the green for binding.

How are you going to quilt it?
                      Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Cat77 View Post
                        I agree with brook that the flowers would give the quilt an "older" feel.
                        I'd leave the green border and add a border of one of the orangey fabrics (or both, depending on how much more you want to add) and the other as binding.
                        Or: Take of the green, add one of the orange fabrics, then a narrow one of the flower fabric, then orange again and bind off with the green.
                        This would be SO fresh and young !
                        "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                        Hillary Clinton

Comment

The fabric is Happy Go Lucky by Bonnie and Camille. Right now they are my favorite fabric designers.

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                          I like the floral! This is just as yummy as a summer ice cream float! Just beautiful! What fabric? Is it Ellie Ann?
                          Robin
                          My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

It is the Pink Lemonade pattern from the book Quilting Through the Seasons. The instructions in the book are very detailed. I had never made flying geese before so I found it a little difficult at first. Once I got that figured out, the rest was easy. I'm not sure how I will have it quilted. I usually leave it up to the person doing the quilting for me. I know I don't want anything too flowery.

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                            Very pretty. Is that the Pink Lemonade pattern?

I also vote for the floral for the border and the green for binding.

How are you going to quilt it?
                            Robin

Comment

Thanks for all of your advice. I think I will sew a 1 inch border in white then add a 6 inch border in the stripe/floral. I want to get it to the lady who does my quilting this Wednesday as it is the only day she accepts quilts. Hopefully I can get it done tonight or in the morning. My days are quickly filling up this week.
                              Robin

Comment

Working...
                              X