Half square triangles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half square triangles?

Half Square Triangle Quilting Block ? Beginner Block Quilting Series | Always Great, Always Free Quilting Tutorials

In Jenny's tute on half square triangles (see link above) she takes two 4 inch (I think??) charm pack squares, creases one of them to get a center line and then sews them together on either side of the center crease line at a quater inch and then cuts them on the line.

My question is if you are using a quarter inch seam in the centre of the charm, then cutting in the middle! does this not change the size of the charm square from 4 inches to 3.75 inches? And does this not matter when trying to do the rest of the math for the finished quilt?

The irony of me falling in love with a hobby that involves math is not at all lost on me!!

Re: Half square triangles?

Looks like a 5" square to me...
    You should be able to get 4" HSTs from this method.
    Preeti
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Incidentally, it is so interesting to see how polished Jenny's tutorials have become. They were always great and so helpful but you can see how much more at ease she is in front of the camera now. Love Jenny's tutes!

Comment

Wendy, this may help you.
        HST Tutorial and Maths Formula - Blossom Heart Quilts
        Cil
        A quilt is a blanket of love
        http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
        http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

A 5" charm would result in a 4.5 HST. Then when sewn together in the block the finished HST would be 4x4. HST's are my fav piece to make... so many options of design in one single theory! Just remember...you add 1/2 inch for every seam, no matter what you are making.

If you want a FINISHED 2x2 inch square in the quilt, you add 1/2 for the seam allowance to assemble it into the quilt just to make it one single square/one color so you'd cut squares 2,1/2 x 2,1/2 inches. When assembled in the quilt it'd be a 2x2 FINISHED sq.

If you want an HST...add 1/2 to the 2,1/2x2,1/2 and cut 3x3 squares. 1/2 for the first seam allowance to make the HST and another 1/2 for the seam allowance to sew the HST into the quilt for a finished square in the quilt of 2x2

If you want an hourglass...you add 1/2 and cut a 3,1/2x3,/12 inch squares. 1/2 inch for the seam allowance to make the HST, a 1/2 for the seam allowance to make the hourglass, 1/2 for the seam allowance to assemble the block into the quilt for a finished 2x2 square in the quilt! Took me a while to figure this out, but once the obvious hit me...easy peasy now!
          Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Thats awesome....but does anyone elses eyes gloss over when they see that many numbers?! I can't be the ONLY person who experiences this? Man I despise math and yet I am such a logical person! I should LOVE math! Its so ordered an black or white...very little grey in math. Uhg!

Thanks for the info! Must remember to file these away for future reference! Xox
            Last edited by WendyI; April 7, 2014, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyI View Post
              Thats awesome....but does anyone elses eyes gloss over when they see that many numbers?

Hi, my name is Vicki and I'm...math challenged!! [imagines the math support group says, " Hiiii Vicki!".]
              Vicki
              Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

Originally posted by VickiJ View Post

Hi, my name is Vicki and I'm...math challenged!! [imagines the math support group says, " Hiiii Vicki!".]
                Maybe we should start a mathematically challenged quilters group! Hiiiiii Vicki!! Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyI View Post
                  Maybe we should start a mathematically challenged quilters group! Hiiiiii Vicki!! Lol!
                  Sign me up. Not only am I bad at math, I am living in a country that uses metric system. ( which by the way is easier to use) so I have metric for my class projects and Inches for projects I get on web or American magazines.
                  "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                  Hillary Clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Marta View Post
                    Sign me up. Not only am I bad at math, I am living in a country that uses metric system. ( which by the way is easier to use) so I have metric for my class projects and Inches for projects I get on web or American magazines.
                    Yep ....metric here in Canada also. And I am of the generation that was half way through leraning imperial mesurements and then we switched to metric! Which is half my problem!

Comment

The easiest way for me to remember, is add 1 inch to the finished size of your block when making half square triangles this way. However, I'm not sure if you have inches or metric system on your rulers?

Comment

Ironically we have both! Having America as our closest neighbour has its influences to be sure.

Comment

My eyes get all glossy too Wendy. Whenever I try something new I use scrap pieces so when (you notice I didn't say if) I mess up I can figure out what I'm doing wrong before ruining my good fabric.
                          Sharon

Comment

Working...
                          X