Minky Lap Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minky Lap Quilt

I would like to make a minky lap quilt for my sister-in-law for her birthday. I haven't used this type of fabric before and I have a few questions. Is it difficult to sew? Do you need a batting or are two layers of fabric enough? Do you need to use a stretch stitch and special thread? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated as I need to have it finished before the end of April!

Re: Minky Lap Quilt

I have backed several quilts with minky. It is messy so have a vacuum nearby. I have never had problems with it but I have always used basting spray like 505 basting spray. If you spray it, it does not shift while quilting. I used batting (wadding) one time and it made it too thick. I like to use flannel (washed and dried) instead. The last quilt I did, I spray basted the top to the flannel, did all major quilting, then spray basted the top/flannel to the minky and then did only a few straight lines of quilting to attach the layers together.

I used a longer quilting stitch (3.5 on my Babylock) when quilting on minky. Remember, it stretches so be careful and don't pull hard on it.

Quilts with minky backing are so cuddly. Your sister-in-law will love it.
    Vonnie

Comment

Make sure to use a walking foot as well. I don't know if it's necessary to use a stretch needle. I'm pretty sure I just used a regular all-purpose. The stretch needle might be helpful. Here's a video with some very good suggestions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFEJoYYLOO8 Also, if you just google "tips for sewing with mink" you'll find a number of sites that address this subject.
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I just wrote a post about the top ten tips for working with minky since i just finished my first baby quilt with it. it wasn't bad at all!!! you can read all the 'ins and outs' of minky here (it's like a summary of all the research i did and an excellent video i found):

Over the Kitchen Counter: Angie's Place for Cooking and Crafts: Top 10 Tips when Working with Minky

and here's the baby quilt i made with it:

Over the Kitchen Counter: Angie's Place for Cooking and Crafts: Minky Baby Quilt

Comment

Thanks for all that advice. I am now much more confident to have a go.

Comment

I just watched the tutorial that jenny did on making a double sided poufy minky quilt 160 charms. It was a lot like yours but poufy. Looked like fun...but was only baby sized. Would love to make a big one for my sister...she loves soft blankies. Good luck with yours..can't wait to see it done!

Comment

Angie, thanks so much for sharing the quilt and especially the tips with us.

Comment

Also google Minky strip quilts there are some great utube videos out there I watched them before I made two twin size Minky strip quilts. I used warm and natural batting between the layers these are warm and cuddly.
                Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Working...
                X