When do you press your seams? (Newbie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you press your seams? (Newbie)

I did my pressing after each quilt square my 1st 2 quilts but my squares seemed to stretch out of shape even without really moving the iron around... My 3rd quilt top I just pressed once I got it all sewed together and it seems much better... Is there any real reason why you should press after each block is done or is it just a preference...What is best and why?

Re: When do you press your seams? (Newbie)

I press as I'm piecing each block. I want the seams to be pressed down for nesting them when I put the blocks together. I am careful to put the iron down and pick it up to just press the seam and not iron the material, hopefully avoiding stretching.

Comment

My ironing board is directly behind me and I have a spinning chair, so as I sew I spin around and every seam gets pressed.
      "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
      :D

Comment

I press every seam. It is the easiest way to get seams to match up and keep everything lined up.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

After every seam. Can't imagine being successful any other way. Are you working with a lot of bias edges? I don't understand why you are having trouble with stretched out blocks. I guess the best answer is whatever works for you is what you should stick with. As they say nothing is set in stone. Consider using starch if you're working with bias pieces.
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I press each and every seam. My iron is int he kitchen so I must walk miles every day just to press seams. I do them in batches though so that saves a bit of time and walking.

Don't spray them with water or use a steam iron, you can end up with one corner of your block being stretched and 'pointy'.

Comment

I press after each seam this insures good nesting and also has saved me some ripped seams as I can see if I messed up when pressing each seam as opposed to waiting to pres after entire block
              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
              Sigmund Freud

Comment

I press each seam. I chain stitch when possible and press in batches. This makes nesting so much easier and the chances of frog stitching that much less. I just put together around 80 four-patches over the weekend. I first chain stitched the two blocks together, and pressed everything. Then I chain stitched the four patch, making sure my seams nested together in the center, then pressed again. Yes, it is a lot of pressing, but your end result is so much better.

Unless you are working on the bias, you shouldn't be getting much stretch at all. Are your seams 1/4 the whole seam? If not, your block is going to turn out wonky and it has nothing to do with the pressing.
                My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

I press every seam. It certainly helps with the nesting of seams. Often I press before I sew the seam. That helps a lot with matching points - most of the time!

Sometimes my iron is behind me in my room but mostly it's in the kitchen. That way I get some exercise too!!!

Comment

I also press each seam, and if I have tricky or multiple seams to line up, I make sure to press those seams open and use a pin through them at the quarter inch sewing mark so they are sure to line up. I do this because I am very new to quilting, it takes more time, but I almost always get really good seams, even where points count. I found that practice helped me.

Comment

Whenever I get to a point that a seam will be crisscrossed by another seam...I make sure the first seam is pressed. I prefer to do all of the same seams at one time so I can press at one time. Seems more productive to me.

Comment

Well i learned something new again! No steam!! And be careful of using biased edges! I could not figure out why mi stuff is always stretchy! Glad you asked this?

Comment

Its all a big learning process.... Thanks so much for your answer's.... I will certainly stick to pressing after each one...

Comment

I press after each seam....love it when I can chain piece and then take several of them to the ironing board at once.
                            Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                            I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Working...
                            X