metallic thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

metallic thread.

Hi everyone do I need to use a special needle in my machine if I use metallic thread?
    love and hugs Edwina .x

Re: metallic thread.

Yes The hole needs to be larger so the thread doesn't tangle up. It frays really easy. Another tip is to use netting on your spool because it will want to go every where. It's very unruly. lol I use the Glitter line from Superior threads. It's super shiny! They suggest to make your stitch length longer so the light will catch it. If you go to their web site they have a good section on tips

Glitter
    Last edited by Hulamoon; April 6, 2014, 03:23 PM.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Hi Edwina,

I have a magazine that has a metallic thread article that says it's best to use a metallic or topstitch needle.........for the reasons that Lorie mentioned. It also recommends sewing slower when using metallic threads.
      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I remember one more tip which I used, Put your spool on the upright holder. Metallic thread seems to tighten up if it's not. I think because it's plastic it seizes on it's self.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Interesting! THanks you guys. Hadn't thought about using metallic but now I want a spool! I just learned how to use invisible and loved it so...metallic..here I come!
          Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
            Yes The hole needs to be larger so the thread doesn't tangle up. It frays really easy. Another tip is to use netting on your spool because it will want to go every where. It's very unruly. lol I use the Glitter line from Superior threads. It's super shiny! They suggest to make your stitch length longer so the light will catch it. If you go to their web site they have a good section on tips

Glitter
            Hulamoon..is it higher number,larger hole on a needle? I use 80 for piece work and 90 for FMQ...but at the moment, it escapes me as to why I do that! It is one of those things. that I know that is what I am supposed to use, so I just do it and "no need to remember why " things, so I don't clutter my brain with the why I use it!
            I want to try some metallic. I just learned invisible and loved it so next step is metalic and I have a 14 you GD and she asked me to make her a zipper pouch that is padded for protection as she wants it to put her cell phone and other hand held things and then i nto her back pack. Padded so things in it won't get smashed if her school books get put on top of it! She'd love metallic thread on a solid color!
            Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
            X