backing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backing

How much yardage is needed for a queen size quilt backing generally speaking?
    Mary :icon_popcorn:

Re: backing

My Quilters Pocket Reference shows a chart:

80"x90" = 7.25 yards
    88"x94" = 8 yards
    100"x100" = 9 yards

The booklet says: "Yardages for the quilt backing charts are based on 40" of usable width and 1/2" seam allowances. The layouts have been chosen so there is at least 2" extra backing around all four sides of the quilt top and an extra 1/4 yard has been included in all yardage given".

Hope this helps.

Comment

Or 3 yards of backing fabric which is usually 108" wide.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/browse?q=108

I have done it the way Bob has listed. One Log Cabin quilt I used 9 yards of different fabrics and cut it up and made a giant 9 patch for the back.

I like to use a half inch seam allowance when piecing the backing fabric. Much easier to get it to lie flat.
      Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
        Or 3 yards of backing fabric which is usually 108" wide.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/browse?q=108

I have done it the way Bob has listed. One Log Cabin quilt I used 9 yards of different fabrics and cut it up and made a giant 9 patch for the back.

I like to use a half inch seam allowance when piecing the backing fabric. Much easier to get it to lie flat.
        Wow, I just learned something new. Thank you for sharing about 1/2 inch seams for the backing and why. I love this forum. I learn so much.
        You can't have the rainbow without a little rain. May we all see the blessings in all things.

~~ Carla ~~

Comment

Quilt backing seams should be pressed open rather than to one side. This eliminates extra bulk when quilting. I sew my backing seams about 3/4" wide and then trim it with my pinking blade and press it open. My blade is actually more gentle scallops than peaks.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I just used the Quilters Pocket Reference yesterday when getting material for a queen size quilt for a friend and I thought I had bought way too much, but I guess that guide was right. Newbies always need help. Lol.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I don't know how I figured anything out before I joined this group. Wow - awesome.
              Mary :icon_popcorn:

Comment

Quilting Calculators App

It's an app but I use it all the time. There are actually about 7 different calculators for different things.

Comment

Working...
                X