replacing old sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing old sewing machine

My old kenmore sewing machine from 70s(?) needs replaced. Researching new machines...any suggestions. Used for mostly piecing quilts and would also like to machine quilt my smaller quilts.

Re: replacing old sewing machine

You will get as many answers as there are quilters. I personally love my Brother Innovis NX450Q. It has the features I want (needle down, auto threader, thread cutter and plenty of stitches). The throat is big enough to do what I need done, and FMQ's well. My advice would be to get the features you want, and the biggest throat you can.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

I love my Pfaff machines. Great features plus the IDT (built in walking foot). Try all the brands in your budget, make a list of all the must have features and one will click with you. Also a dealer you like and offers you support, maintenance, etc. Have fun shopping.
      Ann

Comment

I love my Pfaffs. My suggestion is to go try as many as you can find the perfect fit for you!
        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
        Sigmund Freud

Comment

Pfaff also for me, the added features and how well it sewed for me when I tested it won me over. Like the stated above, check out your budget, make a list of what is important for you to have on a machine, add your wish list to that, and start testing machine. Another important thing is the store service where you buy from, in the long run that will be very important. Enjoy shopping for your new machine, dreaming is half the fun, and costs nothing!

Comment

I'm sewing with the Bernina Hubs surprised me with in 1979.....it is made so I can do my oiling and cleaning, needing shop maintenance not so often. It makes perfect stitches. I love it like a child I've given birth to! BUT I've recently sewn on a Pfaff Passport.....small for taking to classes, Needle stops in "up" position, has even feed built in......and does it ever PURR as it stitches!!!!! I've got it on my list.....but at 75 and no fancy sewing in my life.....(.just my heart and soul into basic quilts)....do I really need another machine? Isn't a wonderful, perfectly Bernina enough? Aahh....the inner battle rages....

Comment

I personally love my Brother Innovis NX650Q. Lots of bang for the buck.

Lots of good advice from others in regards to dealers, features and your budget. Good luck to you!
              sigpic

Comment

Janome memory craft 6300 for me. Months of research and countless sewing centers before deciding.

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                  You will get as many answers as there are quilters. I personally love my Brother Innovis NX450Q. It has the features I want (needle down, auto threader, thread cutter and plenty of stitches). The throat is big enough to do what I need done, and FMQ's well. My advice would be to get the features you want, and the biggest throat you can.
                  What is the throat space on your Brother?
                  Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

If you are not ready for the more expensive Brothers, try the NX800. Great starting machine with lots of extras. Just be sure to find a dealer you like.
                    sigpic

Comment

It depends on how much you want to spend. I've had Bernina machines for 30 years and love them, but they are pricey. They also keep their value whenever you want to trade them in. Bernina also includes free lessons for your new machine. One of the most important things to consider is the quality of your potential dealer, and do they have their own machine tech working in their shop or do they send your machine out for service. It's worth it to find a good dealer even if you have to drive a distance. Also bring your own material and try out any machine you're interested in.
                      Although I've never used them, I understand Janome is a good machine similar in quality to the Bernina but at a lower cost.
                      Good luck in your fun quest.

Comment

The throat is 7 1/2". I have quilted up to full size on it. Haven't tried anything bigger yet.
                        Originally posted by coffeebreak View Post
                        What is the throat space on your Brother?
                        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                        sigpic

Comment

I quilt and free motion quilt on a Janome 6600, it has almost a 9 inch throat. It's a great machine.

Comment

Janome 7700 for me. Big throat space, built in walking foot. I love mine.

Comment

[QUO, TE=cmhquilter;503739]My old kenmore sewing machine from 70s(?) needs replaced. Researching new machines...any suggestions. Used for mostly piecing quilts and would also like to machine quilt my smaller quilts.[/QUOTE]

I was just getting ready to post about my brand new JANOME me which I purchased HSN but came with all kinds of extra goodies absolutely love the machine it is truly amazing, it's quiet easy to use and I like the fact that I can make payments on the FlexPay. I've heard that you should not combineyour sewing machine with your embroidery machine so I've decided to purchase them separately probably going to cost a little bit more but I think it'll be well worth it. mine also has all the bells and whistles it has a automatic threading, scissors and a lot of great features I recommend it and the pricing was that bad at all for all what you getall the extra bells and whistles and I did a lot of research finally came to the conclusion that this was the best bang for my buck. Mahalo
                              Last edited by AlohaSandy; April 7, 2014, 01:36 PM.
                              sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Working...
                              X