Mitered corner problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitered corner problem

My mitered corners seem to be too tight. It doesn't lie flat where the border meets the quilt top. What am I doing wrong?

Re: Mitered corner problem

There are some good videos on You Tube. That is how I learned to do them. Give it a try.

Comment

Go to Missouri Star on UT be and watch Jenny she's amazing on her tutorials. Mahalo
      sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

I couldn't remember if Jenny had one or not. Silly me....

Originally posted by AlohaSandy View Post
        Go to Missouri Star on UT be and watch Jenny she's amazing on her tutorials. Mahalo

Comment

When sewing on your binding, you need to stop 1/4" away from the edge. You may not be folding your binding properly when you start the next side, therefore making it too snug. Here's a simple video to show technique. It's also a great idea to practice on some small sandwiches. The joining technique at the end is very easy and I use this method all the time, without having to measure.

Better Binding: Mitered Corners & Invisible Joins

Comment

You are having trouble mitering the border if I understand you correctly. Did you stop sewing your border to the top 1/4 inch before the end of the top from both directions. That must be exact. I don't know which method you are using to miter the border, but the miter seam must start exactly where the 2 side seams end. Match them with a pin if necessary.

Comment

Here's a neat video: Sewing Mitered Corners | Quilting & Sewing Videos
              Vonnie

Comment

Ys, I was stopping 1/4 from end. However, it seems my "eyeballing" of a 45 degree was off a bit. I bought a ruler for a reason. I should use it! DUH! Thanks for all the info. It's not perfect, but quilt top is done. Basting tomorrow. :-)

Comment

One thing also to consider is that you add a mitered border strip the same way you would any other border; that is, you must measure your quilt top length (width) through the center to find the length for your strip. Give a generous amount of excess on either end for the miters. Just like any other border, you must mark the beginning and end, the center, the quarter points and match them to the corresponding points on the quilt top (with pins.) That way, you are assured your borders will lay flat. You don't just sew a very long strip to the quilt top edge without easing in any excess -- that will result in wavy or too tight borders.

Comment

Working...
                  X