Selvedge left on fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selvedge left on fabric

Is it normal to have a selvedge left on a square from a charm pack? I am using the Sylvia charm pack that I bought here on MSQC. Is it okay to go ahead and use it in my quilt? Thank you.
    Last edited by mcwade; April 5, 2014, 03:26 PM.

Re: Selvedge left on fabric

Selvages should be cut off. They don't shrink the same as the rest of the fabric and will cause your square to draw up if you use it in your quilt.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
      Selvages should be cut off. They don't shrink the same as the rest of the fabric and will cause your square to draw up if you use it in your quilt.
      IF that is the case.. would it be a good idea to cut the salvage off yardage before you prewash? Would that aid or prohibit shrinking?
      Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by coffeebreak View Post
        IF that is the case.. would it be a good idea to cut the salvage off yardage before you prewash? Would that aid or prohibit shrinking?
        I wouldn't cut it off yardage before washing because the only thing it would aid in is more raveling.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

In this case, I assume you need the piece since it was part of the charm pack and cutting it off would make the piece to too small. If you must use it, I would think that clipping through the woven part towards the seam (just like you do on a curve) would lessen the chance of it shrinking up.
          Donna

Comment

I agree with Donna. Clip it. If you need a piece I bought two packs.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

If its just one block and you absolutely have to use that block I would think that carefully clipping it would ease the shrinking some. Maybe you will be able to juggle things around and avoid using that square.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Also let the folks at M* know. I just made a quilt from a charm pack and needed every piece in it. I would have been disappointed and a little unhappy if there was one square I couldn't use. I'm sure they're interested in quality control.

Comment

MSQC is VERY interested in customer satisfaction, as they should be.
                  But the quality control, ultimately falls on the manufacturer. That's a manufacturing flaw.
                  I had a charm pack, that had a glue residue (?) on maybe 6 or 7 squares.
                  'Will this wash out?'
                  I called MSQC, for advice.
                  They sent me another charm pack, without another question.

(I TRUST that I am giving this info to all GOOD in this world. SIGH. I really, really do...)
                  I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                  It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

MO* is very kind and fair, I think. I visited there last Fall, and I was so excited and hyper and they were all so friendly and kind to me. Made me feel so welcome. Visited the warehouse was as exciting as the shop....of course, nothing compares to the hug I got from Jenny! Just love that place and those people....

Comment

I just learned something. So, if I had pre washed my material, did not cut off the selvages, and am in the process of finishing sewing it into a 2 1/2 inch binding, will I be ok? I doubt at this point I could find where it is on the binding, any suggestions as to what I can expect to happen to it over time with some washing cycles? Newbies always are learning.

Comment

Working...
                      X