What to sew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to sew

What do you sew a baby that has tons of blankets already? I'm afraid a quilt would just be thrown in the pile of blankets with the rest. Do you have any ideas?

Re: What to sew

I would probably go to my fabric store and look in the pattern books for ideas. I just googled "gifts to make for babies" and a bunch of websites popped up.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 18, 2011, 10:04 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

How about a cute wall hanging for baby's nursery!
      ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I found a receiving blanket and burp pad that had eyelets (really tiny) around the out side, then you crocheted an edging to it. I bought the kit, (here is a link to the website) http://www.ammeesbabies.com/ But I have yet to figure out how to do the eyelets and edging, so I could make my own. If anyone has any ideas on how to do this with a machine please let me know.

But that would make a nice gift.
        JVO

Comment

how about a swaddler blanket? I have this one bookmarked to make sometime:

www.emblibrary.com/EL/elprojects/pdf/pr1273.pdf
          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

do you embroidery? I made some blocks and an ABC book..I also liking making the burp cloths. they are quick and easy
            Patrice

Comment

Check out the stuffed animals at http://www.funkyfriendsfactory.com. I have made these for babies all the way up to adults. If I make them for babies, I sew on a small circle of fleece for an eye instead of safety eyes. They are made of polar fleece and are really durable.
              I was also given an organizer that hangs over the door. It is like a huge shoe organizer, but made with pre-quilted muslin and cute quilting cotton. The lady made the bottom two rows of pockets large enough to hold 8 to 10 of the largest diapers. The upper two rows have pockets of varying sizes. She filled in some of the pockets with fun & useful baby things.
              I was given a big bath towel and wash rag with a strip of fun cotton print sewn across one end like a border. There was a wash rag that had a coordinating grosgrain ribbon sewn across the woven band thing, and they included a bottle of baby wash and a duckie.
              I have also made the double duty diaper bags by SewBaby. I have made a few modifications to the original design, like lining the pockets, and top stitching areas for durability.
              The SewBaby pattern and a Simplicity version of a trio of the Funky Friends should be available at a Joann's. I also found a cute pattern for hooded towels in one of the pattern books too.
              These are all things that I have made and used or have been given and found useful in the last 5 years. It sounds like those are the kind of gifts that you are wanting to make. Have fun!
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

JVO, I have heard of a sewing machine needle called a wing needle. You use it instead of a regular needle and it makes holes in the cloth to crochet or embroider into. Or you can use a pointed instrument such as an ice pick to make the holes. Or with some flannel you can just push through with a small crochet hook.

Comment

Do babies still wear hats when they're tiny? Seems like you could have some fun with that.
                  There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

I made a wall hanging for my granddaughter and a quilt for her toddler bed [when she gets there]. The toddler bed size is smaller than a twin size.
                    Susan

Comment

http://www.skipstitch.com/products.htm

This is a rotary cutter blade that will make skipped holes so that one can crochet in them. I used it on a fleece blanket that I crocheted a trim around the outer edges. Was so pretty...if I do say so myself.
                      GlendaSue
                      I hope to outlive my stash.

Comment

Working...
                      X