Machine quilting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine quilting question

I'm ready to machine quilt a quilt I'm making. It's a churn dash and I intend to SID the center square and also the seams of the sashing (vertical and lateral). How necessary is it to start from the center of the quilt when doing the seams of the sashing. Do I need to start from the center of each quilting seam and work out or can I start at one end and go completely to the other end? Thanks in advance for any replies. Marilyn
    Last edited by MarilynH; April 4, 2014, 08:31 PM.

Re: Machine quilting question

IMO the answer depends. If your quilt is small, say less than 40 x 45 and spray basted and heat set you may be able to start at one end and go completely to the other end. If your quilt is larger than 40 x 45 and/or pin basted you will get the best results if you quilt from the center out. Or than again if you have a sew machine with an IDT (that is a special kind of integrated walking foot) the answer would change again. Does this help?
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I think a person should always start in the center & work out regardless of the size of the quilt. It's much easier than having to rip out stitches b/c you've got a wrinkle/pucker where you didn't want it. When I pin baste my sandwich, I also start in the middle & work out in all directions. The only time I went end-to-end was when I cross-hatched a baby quilt. I started in the middle diagonally & worked out to either side. I used a walking foot for that one. JCY

Comment

When I am STID with sashing, I usually do the row nearest the center in both directions...picture a large + sign on the quilt. Then I stitch the rest of the sashing working my way towards the edges. I will often stitch all of my sashings, then go back and quilt the blocks.

Comment

I use Hobbs fusible batting and have never had a problem starting anywhere I like on the quilt. To be on the safe side I will start in the middle most times and work my way out a couple of rows and then go where ever to finish. I have also spray basted with the same results and I have Elmer's glue basted smaller things with good results. I don't pin because I can't get a smooth back no matter how many pins I use. That's just me!

Comment

Working...
          X