Binding with backing fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding with backing fabric

I saw online where the backing fabric was used as their binding. They just folded it around to the front for their binding. I was wondering if ya'll know how well this technique works. Thanks.

Re: Binding with backing fabric

I use this technique a lot. As a matter of fact, it's what I learned as a teenager more than forty years ago. I did not know about binding until after I retired and started taking classes.

I like using this method when my backing is minky or fleece, and sometimes a good quality flannel. It's stronger than any cotton binding you will put on.

There are several techniques to reduce the bulk on the corners.
    Vonnie

Comment

I have used this technique several times, don't really care for it but your corner miters come out well. It would probably work much better for someone who actually squares up their quilts properly, not me. I also prefer that my binding is a different color my backing using a coordinating fabric from the quilt top, gives it a much nicer visual appeal.
      Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

My mom had done this on a number of her quilts. I would love to try it. I like the idea of it.
        Dayna

Comment

I don't recommend you bind this way unless the quilt is destined to be loved to death by kids or used for picnics, etc. The first place a quilt normally wears is the binding. A separately attached binding will give you much better results and much longer service. As a side note, if you ever plan to enter one of your quilts in a quilt show that method of binding in not accepted. I know most of us make quilts for family use or gifts but I like mine to hold up well as long as possible.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I like doing it this way too. You need to plan it out well though, because you don't get a second chance if you cut it too short. This tute is for quilt as you go place mats and it shows how to do it. I even use the glue she shows. Practice on a mug rug or place mat to see if you like it before doing a whole quilt

Quilting Tutorial: Quilt-As-You-Go Placemats - YouTube
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have used it once when I was in a hurry and it was a baby quilt. It turned out fine. I have heard from experienced quilters that it won't work for larger quilts. Here is the quilt Sew Preeti Quilts: Chinese Coins
              Preeti
              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

It will work for any size quilt. But like Bubby says, it wears a lot faster. I did my first quilt ever that way and the first spot it started wearing was at the edge, because this method only offers a single thickness of fabric right at the edge of the quilt where a lot of wear and tear happens as it is being used.
                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

I have done it on several baby sized quilts, but in my opinion, it is more work than adding a separate binding. I did double mine over so it was the same thickness as a regular binding. I left a full 2-1/2" around all sides of the quilt, trimmed the corners, folded in half once and then again before bringing it around to the front.
                  Last edited by dwil23; April 4, 2014, 10:43 AM.
                  Donna

Comment

My great grandmother and both grandmothers used this method for all their quilts no matter how large. I did to for the first few quilts I made because that is the way my grandmother showed me, but while theirs were always consistent all the way around, mine never were. I so much like the look of sewing the fabric on the front and hand sewing on the back.
                    Wendy
                    http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

When I started out quilting I used this method. Did not know any better. Now I use this method for small items like placemats, etc.
                      What I make with my hands I give with my heart.

Comment

I have used this method and I also leave enough to fold over twice so the thickness is the same. I feel like it is more secure than doing a binding separately. I do them both ways though.
                        Karen
                        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I use this method a lot I like it for a quick and easy finish. I also have a set of templates to help with the corners
                          Quick Easy Mitered BINDING Tool

They are pricey here but well worth it. I bought them when I worked for viking as they carried them and with 50% off employee discount it was great.
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I think it's an old fashioned (but fine) way to do it from back when quilts were used for warmth/blankets. My mom (90 now) did hers that way and called it "hemming" the quilt. Once when I was there working on a quilt, she told me, "If you had just hemmed it, you'd be done by now."
                            Others were right...it was the first place hers wore thru.

Comment

Originally posted by Iris Girl View Post
                              I use this method a lot I like it for a quick and easy finish. I also have a set of templates to help with the corners
                              Quick Easy Mitered BINDING Tool

They are pricey here but well worth it. I bought them when I worked for viking as they carried them and with 50% off employee discount it was great.
                              Thanks for the video. I don't have the binding tool, but I do it a lot like she does but I use the 45 degree line on my ruler and line the 45 degree line on the edge of the quilt top (not backing and not batting but the top) I then scoot it 1/4" past the point and slice off the corner before sewing. I back stitch at the beginning and ending of my seam. I also clip the point. I do not use this method with cotton backing fabric but with fleece and minky. I have quilts that I made 8-10 years ago with this method and they are holding up better than the top is.

For the cotton backing, I like doing my binding strips at 3", fold in half, and sew to the back, then wrap to the front and use my stitch in the ditch foot to sew it down. Making it at 3" and using a generous 1/4" seam on the back, means that the front is far enough from the edge that I don't have to worry about the bulk of the binding on the back.
                              Vonnie

Comment

Working...
                              X