Holes noticeable in fabric after frogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holes noticeable in fabric after frogging

I'm not sure if the fabric is cheap or the needle is dull or what but when I ripped out the seam in the white on white sashing it looks like if I sew it back on it might not be a stable seam. Actually the green piece attached is also holey. Should I trim off the seam and start over? Should I change my needle or change the stitch length? The sashing is on the bottom of the quilt and won't get much wear. I usually worry too much so I don't trust my own (in)experience here. Please don't ask for a picture - I have trouble posting them. Thanks!

Re: Holes noticeable in fabric after frogging

as long as the fabric isn't torn it will probably be ok. The holes should close up when the fabric is washed.
    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

I've had the same worry, but it came out all right.

A couple of things come to mind tho...Are you using a needle that is really too big for this fabric? You probably could get buy with a 12 for piecing. Also, what type needle? I like to use a sharp, microtech or my favorite is the Superior topstitch needles.

I'd just give it a check, may not matter one bit, but if you are wondering.....

Comment

Thanks Slokarma and Doloris, Ok, I'm going to check my needle. I think the needle was pretty fresh but this is a special quilt. DH helped me pick out the material for this quilt for us, and it's been a long time in process - hope to finish it for his birthday in May.

Comment

I had that happen after ripping out stitches. I've sprayed the area very lightly with a mist of water then iron it. Sometimes it closes the holes where they are not so noticeable.
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I was trying to figure out if you're piecing or quilting. If you're piecing, I agree with the size 12 needle recommendation. If you're quilting, you'll probably want to stay with a larger needle, but take heart - those holes do close up with steam or a spritz of water, or you could just finish the quilt and wash it. Washing fixes a LOT of little inconsistencies!

Comment

I use a quilting needle size 75 for piecing. I think the brand is Inspira. Quilting needles are sharper & make a smaller hole in the fabric. I use a Top-Stitch 90-14 for FMQ. Keep in mind that the recommended time to use a needle is 6-8 hrs. Some people change needles with each project, but sometimes the needle needs to be changed more frequently. JCY

Comment

Ok, I have to ask: What is frogging? (Sry, not a native speaker! )

Comment

Originally posted by Cat77 View Post
                  Ok, I have to ask: What is frogging? (Sry, not a native speaker! )
                  Cat77 - Riip Riiiip Riip- like a frog. I spend a lot of time ripping out stitches. Just never noticed the holes in the darker fabric I guess.

Jcy - I did not know that - 6-8 hours per needle. I clean my machine every 6-8 hours so I guess I should be changing my needle when I do. Thanks for the tip. And I'm checking for a size 12 or 75 in my box.

Peggi and Cathy - Thank you, too. I filled up my spray bottle and soaked the fabric and let it dry and steamed it again as I pressed it - it was a very long seam - and you both are right- I can hardly see the holes now. Great tips everyone. Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly View Post
                    Cat77 - Riip Riiiip Riip- like a frog. I spend a lot of time ripping out stitches. Just never noticed the holes in the darker fabric I guess.
                    Ah, ok, thanks!

Sooo...a frog makes a riip riip riip sound in English?? Strange...:P

Comment

Originally posted by Cat77 View Post
                      Ah, ok, thanks!

Sooo...a frog makes a riip riip riip sound in English?? Strange...:P
                      Not really. Most people explain it by saying "rip-it, rip-it, rip-it."
                      I think in books, etc a frog sound is spelled ribbet.
                      K is for Karen 😊​..................
                      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                      T - is it TRUE?
                      H - is it HELPFUL?
                      I - is it INSPIRING?
                      N - is it NECESSARY?
                      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Hmm, I just know frogs that kwaak...the frogs across the pond must be different!

Comment

Rofl!!!! It's not every day you find people comparing the sound frogs make.... this cracks me up!!!!

Comment

Okay Cat77, hopefully this will help....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcFKQKjv0-o

Comment

Originally posted by Peggi View Post
                              Okay Cat77, hopefully this will help....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcFKQKjv0-o
                              Haha, thanks!
                              Even though this particular frog seems to have a speech impediment, I hear "rabbit, rabbit, rabbit"...

Comment

Working...
                              X