Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with binding!!!!

Hello,

I would like some help to find out how to figure how much binding is needed. I like to iuse a 2 1/2 strip for my binding. Please help. Aaron

Re: Help with binding!!!!

You measure the circumference of your quilt, so the total of all four sides, ie a 60x80" quilt would be 280". Divide this by the width of your fabric, I use 42" as an average, this gives you number of cuts you will need to make, 280/42 = 6.66, so you need 7 cuts. Now each cut is 2.5" so multiply the number of cuts by the width, 7 x 2.5 = 17.5" or 1/2 Yd. I'd get a little more just to be safe, I've been known to make incorrect or not straight cuts. I've explained in full rather than just give you the numbers so you will know how to do it next time. I hope that helps.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I love it here. You ladies make everything sound so simple. Thanks Lynn!
      ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Thanks Lynn...I knew how to get the circumference, but always guessed on the amount of fabric I would actually need. You made it seem so easy!!
        ~Mary
        As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

Perfect Lynn! After I figure on how much is needed, I always add to the yardage. This way if I miscalculated I have extra and if I have fabric left over....well it goes into my pile for a scrap quilt. You never know.
          Susan

Comment

I generally buy pre-made quilt binding, mostly because every time I've tried to make my own the fabric ends up "twisted" and I don't know why.
            LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Mimis-quilts View Post
              I generally buy pre-made quilt binding, mostly because every time I've tried to make my own the fabric ends up "twisted" and I don't know why.

Are you cutting on the grain? Also, the fabric will get distorted if you stretch it. I'd give it another try on something smaller.
              Susan

Comment

I found this site that will calculate for you. I usually just handed figure but when I stumbled on it I thought wasn't someone just asking about this. The link is
                http://www.blockcentral.com/calc-binding.shtml
                Hope it's helpful

TillenaC

Comment

I just checked out your link. Great find! Thanks TillenaC.
                  Susan

Comment

I knew of this calculator, I even have it bookmarked somewhere but in all honesty I have never used it because when I need to work out binding amounts, it is much faster and easier to do the quick calculation I gave than to go to the computer, find the page, feed the numbers in etc, that is assuming the computer is even on. I can scribble the numbers on a bit of paper and work it out in seconds and it keeps my brain active. Don't get me wrong the calculator is a great tool, but with practice and basic arithmetic we can do this for ourselves.
                    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Thanks for the link! I don't think I'd use this as it's faster to do by hand (as opposed to turning on my computer and finding the link), but it will be great to show this to a friend who is learning to quilt!

As a side note, I always use 40 inches as my width as an extra measure of security to make sure I have enough fabric.

Originally posted by tillenac View Post
                      I found this site that will calculate for you. I usually just handed figure but when I stumbled on it I thought wasn't someone just asking about this. The link is
                      http://www.blockcentral.com/calc-binding.shtml
                      Hope it's helpful

TillenaC
                      When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Thank you guys so much for your help !!!!! I just love quilting.

Comment

Working...
                        X