JELLY ROLLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JELLY ROLLS

Can you use jelly rolls to make a hexagon quilt?

Re: JELLY ROLLS

Welcome to the forums!!!

While you *can* use a jelly roll to make a hexagon quilt....I don't know if I would. To make a hexagon quilt you need to use hexagon forms and cut the fabric down to fit the forms so you can stitch them around and then stitch them together.

hmmm...now you have me wondering....I have a jelly roll down stairs in my sewing room.....might have to give it a whirl!!
    Michele

Comment

Thank you so much Shell for your warm welcome and your feedback. The reason I ask the question is a friend told me that she saw where some one had made a flower garden using 1 inche hexagons and that she had cut her squares 2 1/2 inches and the inch hexagon fit in it well. Was just wondering if anyone had actually tried this. I have a jelly roll of April Cornell's "Spring Magic" and was thinking that would make a beautiful quilt. Again, thanks for getting back with me. I see where several people have read my message but chose not to respond.

Comment

Originally posted by fabric9patcher
        Thank you so much Shell for your warm welcome and your feedback. The reason I ask the question is a friend told me that she saw where some one had made a flower garden using 1 inche hexagons and that she had cut her squares 2 1/2 inches and the inch hexagon fit in it well. Was just wondering if anyone had actually tried this. I have a jelly roll of April Cornell's "Spring Magic" and was thinking that would make a beautiful quilt. Again, thanks for getting back with me. I see where several people have read my message but chose not to respond.

I think that might work very well actually!!! The only thing wold be that I think that you need a *LOT* of fabric to do a quilt of any size from hexies that are less than 4"....so you may find that you will have to do a lot of filing in with solids that compliment the jelly roll... or use multiple jelly rolls ....

Sorry that you didn't get other responses...keep in mind that people may not feel comfortable answering if they don't have a definitive answer...whereas for me...I'm just a talker...so I try to respond to everyone!!

Again...welcome and I hope to see you around!!
        Michele

Comment

I have a package of "2.5" Strippers" templates by "From Marti Michell". They have been specially designed to be used with Jelly Rolls and 2.5" strips. There is a Hexagon piece in the package. Have I used them yet? No. Have I used her other templates? Yes, and I LOVE them! It comes with a handy usage sheet inside. I even think MSQC sells these, or at least I thought they gave away a set as one of the weekly freebies quite a while back.

You can check out her stuff at www.frommarti.com

Don't be disappointed if we read your question and don't answer. A lot of us are here to learn and are unable to answer some of the questions with accuracy, but want to know the answers ourselves! The wonderful thing about this forum is that somebody will eventually know, and head you in the right direction. :mrgreen:
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I was interested in the topic too.. I haven't done the hexagons, too lazy I guess. I was thinking what a waste of that lovely Cornell fabric to just whack it into smaller pieces.. are you desperate to use the jelly roll or eager to try the hex'es? May I sugget making some 2.5 strips of some stash fabric and see how it goes.. use something you like because you may find yourself putting them into a quilt
            Perhaps you have learned we are photo junkies,,, be sure to show n tell
            If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.

Comment

Originally posted by Quilt Vader
              I was interested in the topic too.. I haven't done the hexagons, too lazy I guess. I was thinking what a waste of that lovely Cornell fabric to just whack it into smaller pieces.. are you desperate to use the jelly roll or eager to try the hex'es? May I sugget making some 2.5 strips of some stash fabric and see how it goes.. use something you like because you may find yourself putting them into a quilt
              Perhaps you have learned we are photo junkies,,, be sure to show n tell
              Well my friend says to use 1inch hexagons and the 2.5 strips are perfect, she said to get yardage of one are 2 solids or fabric that will pop to go around the hexs. There are site that you can print pages of hexagons and she also uses card stock. I gave it a try and so far all of this works. They are really fun.

Comment

Your message is encouraging - I may break down and give it a try
                If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.

Comment

Working...
                X