Stitching in the ditch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stitching in the ditch

Well I have completed my first quilt top and am likely going to stitch in the ditch to quilt. My question is do I need to stitch in every ditch??image.jpg

Re: Stitching in the ditch

I think it depends on the batting you are using. I use 80/20. I would stitch along the blocks and then one in about the middle of the block.

Comment

Very nice quilt. I wish you luck with the ditch stitch. I bought a new foot for this, haven't tried it yet. I will soon, let you know how it does. Love the colors you chose!

Comment

I have that foot. It gets hung up when you come to the seam intersections, at least it did with me! I just used it on some bags I was making, that had none of those, and it worked like a charm!
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I would stitch in every ditch to give it definition. Nice quilt.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

Really great quilt. I would stitch in all the seams, if it were me.

Comment

If it were mine, I would stitch in all the seams. It will give it help to hold everything in place, not to mention make an awesome pattern on the back. Have fun with it. Nice quilt by the way!
              LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Looks like stitiching in every ditch it is! Thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelle View Post
                  Well I have completed my first quilt top and am likely going to stitch in the ditch to quilt. My question is do I need to stitch in every ditch??[ATTACH=CONFIG]72574[/ATTACH]
                  Hey....I just started sewing my strips together this morning for the very same quilt. LOL.....I will probably sew in all the ditches. I won't really know until I get started. I'm a newbie and haven't mastered the all over quilting as yet. I have just stitched in the ditch.

Comment

Also think about using something like the serpertine stitch (wavy stitch) or the ladder stitch (looks like a double sided blanket stitch). this way you just aim for the ditch (which can be difficult to stay in).
                    Vonnie

Comment

Good idea, Vonnie!!

Comment

Show us when you're done? Great quilt top....I love it!!!
                        ~Kathy~

Comment

quilt1.jpg
                          So here is my first completed quilt. It was quite a learning experience, but I am excited to take what I learned and start my 2nd project. I got to give this quilt to my great niece on Sunday who turned 3. She didn't seem too interested in it, but I know someday she will.
                          It isn't the most beautiful or straight quilt but I think for someone who never used a sewing machine until I started this, I did pretty good. Thanks to Jenny and her tutorials and all you awesome quilters who answered my "newbie" questions!

Comment

You should be proud! Your first quilt turned out beautiful!,
                            sigpicMy friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Comment

Originally posted by Joelle View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]74752[/ATTACH]
                              So here is my first completed quilt. It was quite a learning experience, but I am excited to take what I learned and start my 2nd project. I got to give this quilt to my great niece on Sunday who turned 3. She didn't seem too interested in it, but I know someday she will.
                              It isn't the most beautiful or straight quilt but I think for someone who never used a sewing machine until I started this, I did pretty good. Thanks to Jenny and her tutorials and all you awesome quilters who answered my "newbie" questions!
                              I love this and the fabric you picked is so cute!

Comment

Working...
                              X