Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilting a jelly roll race quilt

Hi everyone!

I just finished a jelly roll race quilt top and am wonder the best and EASIEST way to quilt it. I have a regular maching so wrestling with the top is not fun. I was even thinking that tying it off might be the easiestl The top is 62 x70. Also how much material do I need for a baking? Your thoughts, please

Re: quilting a jelly roll race quilt

I am not the best one around here to give advice but my DH and I were in a quilt shop a while back and a jelly roll race quilt was hanging on the wall. It was quilted with stitch in the ditch and even with all the other quilts hanging we both gravitated to that one! No borders or anything but it was gorgeous in it's simplicity! The fabric wasn't overly special either but we decided then and there I should make a couple for our little motorhome. I would guess four yards of regular width fabric for the backing.

Comment

Stitching in the ditch would probably be the easiest for machine stitching. Otherwise just tie it. Four yards is the amount of fabric that you will need.

Comment

qltBackYardage.jpg
        I printed this chart and a couple others for future reference when I am shopping for fabrics.
        Printed it off and laminated it .. hole punch and key ring to keep it all together and tucked neatly
        in my purse.. Hope it will help you when buying fabric for your backing..
        Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
        :icon_wave:

Comment

I agree with Simply Quilting, stitching in the ditch is the easiest way to do it using a walking foot; I use that method to secure all the blocks, and then just stitch straight across the entire quilt from side to side. I downloaded a “quilting calculators” app by Robert Kaufman from my phone, you enter the size of your quilt and it calculates for you the size of the backing and border.

Comment

Originally posted by kristen View Post
            Hi everyone!

I just finished a jelly roll race quilt top and am wonder the best and EASIEST way to quilt it. I have a regular maching so wrestling with the top is not fun. I was even thinking that tying it off might be the easiestl The top is 62 x70. Also how much material do I need for a baking? Your thoughts, please
            I have made several of these and I always buy at least 4 yards for the backing. Also, I stitch in the ditch and down the middle of each strip using my guide.

Comment

The first two I made I did STD. But the last one I used painters tape to quilt straight lines in the opposite direction. It made a grid like design.
              Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

I am a horrible stitch in the ditcher...so I use my serpentine stitch and stitch down the center of each strip on JRR quilts with my walking foot. Don't forget to make your stitch length longer than the length you use to piece your quilts.

Comment

I just finished my first JRR quilt last night. I was going to do an allover design, but my machine simply is NOT happy with FMQ. So, I ripped out that mess and did a simple stitch in the ditch. It was the easiest quilting I've ever done. And, it made the colors just pop. There's something about defining those strips that makes a huge difference in the impact. As for backing...I like to buy all my supplies for each quilt all at once so I don't find myself putting off finishing because I'm lacking fabric. Therefore, I just guestimate. If the quilt is a baby quilt and no wider than 42 inches, I just use one width of fabric and estimate the finished length. As the sizes increase, I always allow four yards for a lap or twin size and six yards for anything bigger. It's always too much. But, then I have nice big chunks for my stash!

Comment

Working...
                  X