X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lola2Ace
    replied
    Re: Quilting questions, please help.

I am by no means an expert, but this is similar to how I do my thread and knots.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uW6THwJcgw
    I worry so much about my machine quilting coming out, that I prefer to put a knot like in this video. I have been doing my top and bobbin thread individually, but after seeing this video, I am going to try doing them together. I usually do several lines of quilting and then burying threads is a great thing to do while watching a favorite show to spend time with the family, but still doing something productive. Hand quilters that I have seen do the same kind of knot to end a thread too.

Leave a comment:

• Susan M
    replied

I anchor my stitches the same as SummerK and weave the long threads through the batting to further secure the quilting.

Leave a comment:

• SummerK
    replied

Whether I'm free motion quilting or straightline quilting, this is what I do. I set my stitch length to zero, drop my needle down while holding the top thread and pull the bobbin thread up. Then I take a few stitches in the same spot to anchor. If I'm straight line quilting, I'll change my stitch length and sew! Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• Granny Judy
    replied

In hand quilting.. the knot at the end goes like this. Stitch x2 in the same stich..go inbetween the fabric for a good inch or 2..come up and cut. The long string at the end will get twisted and curled during the wash and WILL NOT come out.

As for Machine Quilting. I do backstitch at the begining and end. I'm also curious as to what others do with their straight line quilting. In the FreeMotion Quilt.. I know they advise doing 3 or 4 stitches in the same spot.. Right??

Leave a comment:

• misty316
    started a topic Quilting questions, please help.

Quilting questions, please help.

When you are machine quilting do you back stitch. I know you don't when you are piecing but what about when you are doing the actual quilting. If you are hand quilting don't you need to tie a know of some kind at the end. For example if I am stitching in the ditch or stitching a cross in each block. Don't I need to make a know somehow at the end of each block or row. I had a lady come over a few months back and she has done a lot of quilts by hand. She doesn't have a know in the end. I can't remember exactly how she told me she done it, but seems like she said she just stitched into the quilt and came out a good ways away from where she went in and just cut the thread and left it. Now I don't see how that will hold together, especially if the quilt will be actually used like a baby quilt that will be washed. Maybe if it is only going to hang on a wall. Hope some of this made sense....
    I'm ready to quilt my baby quilt and I don't know exactly what to do. Not sure if I should hand or machine. Either way I'm not sure about the backstitching or making a knot or does it matter. I'm running out of time due. Baby is due June 12, but I think it will be earlier.
Working...
X