Quilting questions, please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting questions, please help.

When you are machine quilting do you back stitch. I know you don't when you are piecing but what about when you are doing the actual quilting. If you are hand quilting don't you need to tie a know of some kind at the end. For example if I am stitching in the ditch or stitching a cross in each block. Don't I need to make a know somehow at the end of each block or row. I had a lady come over a few months back and she has done a lot of quilts by hand. She doesn't have a know in the end. I can't remember exactly how she told me she done it, but seems like she said she just stitched into the quilt and came out a good ways away from where she went in and just cut the thread and left it. Now I don't see how that will hold together, especially if the quilt will be actually used like a baby quilt that will be washed. Maybe if it is only going to hang on a wall. Hope some of this made sense....
    I'm ready to quilt my baby quilt and I don't know exactly what to do. Not sure if I should hand or machine. Either way I'm not sure about the backstitching or making a knot or does it matter. I'm running out of time due. Baby is due June 12, but I think it will be earlier.

Re: Quilting questions, please help.

In hand quilting.. the knot at the end goes like this. Stitch x2 in the same stich..go inbetween the fabric for a good inch or 2..come up and cut. The long string at the end will get twisted and curled during the wash and WILL NOT come out.

As for Machine Quilting. I do backstitch at the begining and end. I'm also curious as to what others do with their straight line quilting. In the FreeMotion Quilt.. I know they advise doing 3 or 4 stitches in the same spot.. Right??
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

Comment

Whether I'm free motion quilting or straightline quilting, this is what I do. I set my stitch length to zero, drop my needle down while holding the top thread and pull the bobbin thread up. Then I take a few stitches in the same spot to anchor. If I'm straight line quilting, I'll change my stitch length and sew! Hope that helps.
      Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
      Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

I anchor my stitches the same as SummerK and weave the long threads through the batting to further secure the quilting.
        Susan

Comment

I am by no means an expert, but this is similar to how I do my thread and knots.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uW6THwJcgw
          I worry so much about my machine quilting coming out, that I prefer to put a knot like in this video. I have been doing my top and bobbin thread individually, but after seeing this video, I am going to try doing them together. I usually do several lines of quilting and then burying threads is a great thing to do while watching a favorite show to spend time with the family, but still doing something productive. Hand quilters that I have seen do the same kind of knot to end a thread too.
          :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Working...
          X