X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moongazr11
    replied
    Re: New Longarm Quilter

My cousin did some research at a guild meeting tonight for me and I'm so excited to learn more about the design names and ages of the quilt tops.. One that I have is duck paddle on a pond 1900-1905, one from 1920's and another from the 40's sampler and blazing star... Everyone has basically said the same.... Minimal is best...
    Trust me, I'll do plenty of practice quilts before touching this antique.
    Thank you all for your advise.

Leave a comment:

• Navy Wife
    replied

I was at a quilt show recently where antique quilt tops had been longarmed. Some were done with very simple designs and were lovely. Others had been longarmed to death, and it broke my heart to see how they had been ruined. If you do this, please choose a very simple pattern and practice it till you do it well. These antiques are precious treasures which cannot be replaced.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

I would think a quilt top that old was hand-stitched, and to do it true justice the quilting should be done by hand - especially if it is to remain heirloom quality. Otherwise . . . ??

Leave a comment:

• Moongazr11
    replied

Thanks for the replays p

Leave a comment:

• WVGranny
    replied

I have been using my longarm for about a year and a half, an antique quilt I'm not ready for. Not to discourage you but I would put some practice in before attempting maybe draw out the quilt pattern on some white and practice stitching and trying different things. best of luck post some pictures for us

Leave a comment:

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied

That's quite a challenge for a beginning longarm quilter, working on an antique top. I have no suggestions, but am wishing you much luck!

Leave a comment:

• Moongazr11
    started a topic New Longarm Quilter

New Longarm Quilter

I am just starting to use a longarm.... My sister wants me to quilt an antique Blazing Star quilt top for her .... Can anyone help me with a quilting pattern for an 80+ year old quilt.... I want to do it justice and keep it timeless.
Working...
X