Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone tell me how to make the pinwheels shown in this quilt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell me how to make the pinwheels shown in this quilt?

I make quilt tops for a quilt charity group. We received a donation of a lot of "napkins" that look a lot like the squares in the pic below. I was thinking this pinwheel design would be perfect to make a quilt top. However, I have no idea how to make the pinwheel block.

My quilt top experience is very limited. I've only made tops for this group (and one memory t-shirt quilt for my daughter). I've primarily used scraps and patterns where I can size my blocks when done by using a square ruler. I've never done triangles, and frankly, they scare me. However, if someone has an idea on how this can be done fairly easily, I'd give it a try.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Kathy

(fyi, I copied this pic off the internet but it came from a site that said it was ok to copy and use.)

Baby_quilt_in_pinwheel_pattern.jpg

Re: Can anyone tell me how to make the pinwheels shown in this quilt?

They look like flying geese units plus a plain rectangle.

This pattern is similar: Dutchman's Puzzle

I will try to find the exact pattern.
    Last edited by Vonnie; April 2, 2014, 11:47 AM.
    Vonnie

Comment

image.jpg I've gotten one also, it's a picture of, I think using drunkards path, and the way it's laid out, it looks like circles. Would love to know how it's done.
      Maureen 

Comment

Kaydee,
        Here's a great video that Jenny from MSQC did on how to do pinwheels....I hope this helps you !
        Fast and Easy Pinwheels!!! - YouTube

Also, if you go to Missouri Star Quilt Company You Tube Channel....you will see all the videos there....Each Friday a new video is created for us !!!
        Last edited by redcaboose1717; April 2, 2014, 11:52 AM.
        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Fast and Easy Pinwheels!!! - YouTube

You'll love this! You can also do this with Layer cakes - 10" squares for bigger pinwheels!
          Last edited by bkthomas; April 2, 2014, 12:01 PM.
          ~Kathy~

Comment

Here's one way. My computer monitor shows blue, purple and a rosy gray color. Make it the same way except use solid white fabric where the purple and rosy gray is and the blue will show up as a pinwheel.

HowStuffWorks "Double Pinwheel Quilt Block"
            Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Momama View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]72504[/ATTACH] I've gotten one also, it's a picture of, I think using drunkards path, and the way it's laid out, it looks like circles. Would love to know how it's done.
              I have not made this quilt/pattern. However, if I had to do it, this is how I would proceed.
              1. Take two squares, one light and one dark - 5" at least. I recommend 9" square
              2. Place them on top of each other, right sides up.
              3. Using a rotary cutter, and cut off an arc
              4. Switch the two pieces and stitch the dark to the light and vice versa.

I have drawn a very rough sketch. Hope this helps.
              template.jpg

Now you would have two quarter blocks to make the pinwheels
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Preeti; April 2, 2014, 12:22 PM.
              Preeti
              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pay no attention to the second image. That is something else.
                I am unable to delete that image
                Preeti
                http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks, I do have the Accuquilt go, drunkards path cutting die, I'm going to have to try this , maybe a mini lap quilt
                  Maureen 

Comment

The pinwheels in the pic are made with 1/4 sq triangles.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

I just took a closer look at the pinwheels. The white background is one piece! Looks like they took a prairie point and appliqued it down on a square of white fabric then sewed four together to form a pinwheel. Lots of fabric just to get a pinwheel.
                      Vonnie

Comment

the pinwheels are 1/4 square triangles with a 1/2 square triangle. the circles are drunkards path blocks laid out in a pattern that results in circles.
                        you can not take a square, cut the arc and sew it back together because you would not have seam allowance in the cut pieces. They won't go together evenly.
                        Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by Momama View Post
                          Thanks, I do have the Accuquilt go, drunkards path cutting die, I'm going to have to try this , maybe a mini lap quilt
                          The Go makes absolutely great drunkards path blocks. I had great fun making one using it.

Comment

I hope it's alright to post links from different websites here. Anyway, this shows how to make the pinwheels, except the directions show using 3 colors instead of 2. Just use your pinwheel color in place of their brown pieces, and use white or your background color for the green and white pattern pieces.

Pinwheel

Comment

I'm so confused

Comment

Working...
                              X