Kona Fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kona Fabric

I use Joann's Kona fabric for my background white. I notice that it doesn't seem to handle the heat from the iron very well. It kinda has a ripple look after ironing. I don't use steam anymore because that made it worse.

Does anyone else have this problem? The good quality quilting fabric does fine with the heat. What background fabric do you use?
    :icon_hiya: Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Re: Kona Fabric

I rarely use a solid. I prefer the tone-on-tone fabrics.

I am always on the search for interesting or different white or cream patterns for backgrounds. I saw a bolt of white-on-white with music notes and I wanted to buy it so badly, but I didn't have a music quilt planned, so it stayed @ Hancocks.

I can't speak to the Kona fabrics, as I haven't used many of them. I have used the extra-wide PFD white muslin. It did take the hand-dyeing really well, and I haven't noticed any rippling from the hot dry iron I use. (The steam stopped working years ago.)

Maybe some others will have more info.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I've noticed that the kona just doesn't 'feel' as nice as the prints. That being said, I am using white in a quilt right now and don't seem to be having any issues - we'll see how it finishes
      If anyone has any opinions regarding kona vs bella I'd love to hear them!!

Comment

I'm pretty sure the black I'm using right now is Kona and I noticed the same thing. I thought it was supposed to be quality fabric but I won't buy it again.
        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
          I've noticed that the kona just doesn't 'feel' as nice as the prints.
          I feel the same way. It feels itchy to me, so I don't buy it anymore.

I have some around. I'll have to check the ironing thing out.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I use Kona White, and Kona Snow all the time.... No ripples when I iron them....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I prefer the Bella solids to Kona.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Bella fabric is softer than Kona. Also there is Kona and kona by other manufacturers that you buy at Hancock's...not Hancock's of Paducah..and Joann's, etc,.that is not the same quality. I am currently making a quilt with solids from charm packs in blues, greens, aquas, etc. Gorgeous colors and the Kona by Kaufman, I believe, is great stuff and the price is good also. The solids I bought from my local Hancock's is not nearly the quality of the Kona charms and the ones from quilt shops.

Comment

I thought Kona was a trademark. How can there be more than one Kona?
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

I've noticed on ebay uk there's Kona and Klona - very nearly caught out by that one but the clue's in the name I think.

Comment

For solids, I prefer Moda's Bella. It's much nicer and softer. I swore off using Kona white or black, as they both shred and fray too much. The colors don't seem to ravel as much and the pre-cuts of white or black that I got from MSQ have the pinked edge, which seems to help control the fray problem.

Kona cottons are not the same as Kona Bay. The Kona Bay fabrics are mostly Asian inspired and tropical designs of high quality and cost as much as LQS quality. The Kona cottons by Kaufman are definitely not the same quality and are much cheaper.

I'm constantly searching for white on white fabrics for backgrounds. It's hard to find nice quality at a decent price and more difficult to determine color and quality from online sources. I've given up on the tone on tone whites from Joann's and Hancock fabrics (not Paducah). They always seem to have a rough feel and often are printed off-grain.

Comment

Are you sure you got Kona Cotton? I bought what I thought was cotton because it was in line with the Kona fabrics and it turned out to be broadcloth which is a blend. It does not handle ironing well at all. Never had a rippling problem with the real Kona.
                        Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
                        Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

I have bought Kona at Hancocks (the chain, not Paducah) and it irons beautifully. I make "Superman" aprons from their red, blue, and yellow -- have to have solids for those! I simply love working with Kona when everything is solid. I do agree, however, that Kona feels different from printed fabrics.

Kauffman says that their Kona is Kona, no matter where you buy it. An explanation of this has been posted here at M*: http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/qui...ot-joanns.html

I suspect that Martina is on the right track about broadcloth vs Kona. Once you get a solid home, the selvedge doesn't help you identify your fabric. Maybe your receipt would say "Kona" or something else?
                          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Working...
                          X