looking for a dedicated embroidery machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for a dedicated embroidery machine

My bernina can do embroidery albeit a PIA. So I want to know who has a dedicated embroidery machine and why do you like it?
    Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
    Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Re: looking for a dedicated embroidery machine

I have the Bernina Bernette and I love it. I've had it for a year and found it easy to use and it does a great job. I wanted a machine separate from my sewing machine so I didn't have to change things over all the time. Since I really only have my weekends it saves a little time.
    sigpicCarolyn

Comment

I have the Brother 770. It has a 5x7 hoop size and was around $500. Easy to set up and use
      Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

I also have an embroidery-only machine. Why you ask? (1) When looking at the combo machines, I did not like that you had to disengage the embroidery unit - just seemed like a pain. (2) If one of my machines need to visit the maintenance doctor, I still have either a sewing-only or embroidery-only machine to work with. (3) I can sew and embroider at the same time (remember the old term "multi-tasking"?)

Now for the downside, if buying a maintenance plan, you need to buy a plan for each machine.

I've had my machines for quite a while and I am not sorry I made the decision. It works for me!

Comment

I also have a Brother 770. I love it!.
          Mary :icon_popcorn:

Comment

I have an old Janome 10000 that I use strictly for embroidery, even though I don't do much embroidery any more. This machine serves me for what I want to do now.

I toyed with the idea of getting a BabyLock Elissimo Gold last year. At $8000, I felt I would be having to churn out an awful lot of embroidery to make that worth the money. I decided after looking at that machine and using it at a seminar, then looking and the combo embroidery/quilting Janomes (12000 at that time), for the same amount of money, I could buy a professional multineedle embroidery machine and do commercial embroidery as well as m own personal stuff. One thing that is a problem with the multifunction machines is that while the embroidery part is going, you can't sew. I have my J10000 sitting across the room from my sewing/quilting machine, and while it is embroidering, I can piece or sew garments. I would hate to be tied to just one machine. I may get into professional embroidery some day, it has been something I've toyed with for over 2 decades. If I have a terribly expensive machine, I feel it needs to be used for making money to make it pay back. Not just for putting butterflies on the front of onesies!

Comment

The school where I work has an Elna Experience 8300 which I have used several times. It stitches out beautifully-however, when it was purchased, I was mistaken by thinking it had the capability to be hooked up to the computer-it does not. It uses a memory card format--which can be annoying. I have stitched out very large letters to monogram a beach towel-using a design I purchased off a website and saved to a card.

If I was considering such a purchase-2 main things that would be "must haves"--large hoop capability and ability to directly import designs from your computer to the machine.

A friend of mine has a Babylock embroidery machine that can directly take designs from the computer--it is a nice machine as well.

Lisa

Comment

I have a Janome 12000 which is sewing/embroidery. I don't have a problem with only being able to either sew or embroidery because I never have 2 projects going at the same time. I also have a Singer Heavy Duty machine that I could use if something would happen to my 12000. Also one of the things I love with the 12000 is that the embroidery arm can stay on all the time (and mine does) while sewing. When I want to embroidery all I do is push a lever and the embroidery arm swings out toward the back of the machine and away I go. I do a lot of embroidery so this machine works perfectly for me.
                TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

I have the Janome 350E which I love, it is a real workhorse of a machine. I can set that up and yet still use my other sewing machine at the same time. It is user friendly and I wonder how I ever did without one. My largest hoop is a 5x7,the only negative is I wish I had the capability of a larger hoop.
                  If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I have a Janome that is a combo sew/emb machine. I don't have to attach or remove anything to embroider - just change the foot. The embroidery system is built in. I have other machines for sewing if I need to do both at the same time.

If I were going to buy a stand-alone for emb, I would buy a commercial machine. Make sure that whatever machine you buy can import emb designs directly from the internet and get one with as large a hoop capacity as possible. No matter how smart and easy to use your machine is, they are all limited by hoop size. Yes, you can rehoop but it's a PITA as far as I'm concerned.
                    Last edited by Bubby; April 1, 2014, 01:17 PM.
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

my DH bought me an amazing embroidery machine..Babylock BMP9, it can be used for an at home professional embroidery business, but I don't use it for business purposes. I use it for "my purposes". I use it for designs on quilts, tshirts, hats, tote bags etc. plus I love blessing others when then need embroidery designs done. It is completely computerized with 6 spools of thread & 6 needles and is incredible. Don't know if you are considering something this high end but my review on this embroidery machine is 11/10

Comment

I have a Babylock (12'' hoop) When I got it I wasn't thinking I need a second machine so I could sew too. My Viking had only a 4x4'' hoop and was useless. But I love her

Jean I have a friend that got a multi needle machine to go into business and she got busy really fast! She started out doing kids team stuff at her kids school and it just snowballed. I drool at my shops machine when I see it. But I think it's best if you learn to digitize. My dd asked me to do a logo for her roller derby team and I had to say no because I couldn't make up the design for it. Plus it would of taken me forever to do shirts on a single needle machine. They are having a class on the software coming up. Maybe I should take it! Iv'e only had the machine for six or seven years. lol
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I am looking for something that I can hook up to the computer, download designs and embroider them. I also want to be able to add text, adjust image sizes, etc. The Bernina will do some of this, but the software costs $800 to upgrade from the free version and that seems out of line to me. To use the Bernina you have to use their .ART files or the free software just chokes and won't work. I just want to do simple stuff, but I need more flexibility than what I have now.
                          Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Comment

Carolyn, are you limited to using only Bernina .art files?

Originally posted by CarolynK View Post
                            I have the Bernina Bernette and I love it. I've had it for a year and found it easy to use and it does a great job. I wanted a machine separate from my sewing machine so I didn't have to change things over all the time. Since I really only have my weekends it saves a little time.
                            Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Comment

My Bernina deco uses the exp format. I download and use a USB stick to input in my machine. It's really a simple process.
                              Mary
                              SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X