backstitching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backstitching

Is it necessary to do a backstich to lock beginning and end stitches when piecing quilts? I have been told this is not necessary.

Re: backstitching

I don't usually backstitch the pieces, but I usually do with the borders. You could make the stitch smaller instead. If you are going to be sewing across the seam, that will usually hold it unless your stitches are bigger.

Comment

If your seams will crossed by other seams thru quilting or other piecing back stitching isn't usually needed. The additional stitching will lock it I place. If you are doing y seams, you may needto back stitch or use your machines lock stitch to secure them.

Comment

The only time I backstitch a seam is if it's the outside seam on a quilt that will not have a border. I do this because my LAQer pins the quilts along two edges and then the quilt is rolled tightly. Backstitching prevents the seams from pulling apart when they are stretched. Otherwise, I don't backstitch my seams because they are normally crossed over with other seams. If backstitching makes you feel more secure and you can do it neatly, by all means do it.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I'll back stitch "as needed" so to speak. Not every time, but I have noticed that since I usually press my seams open...they will pull apart if I work them to much...so I will stitch to get the seam going a few stitches and then back stitch just for support and it seems to help alot for them not to pull open when I work with them. My Singer has a seam starting problem in that the fabric has to be under the needle about 2 stitches worth or it doesn't pull it through.. like the feed dogs and the pressure foot aren't even... dogs are to far in front of the foot.
          Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I never backstitch and welcome to the forum from New Hampshire!
            Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

Welcome from Southern California
              I never back stitch either.
              If I make a quilt without borders I stay stitch around the entire thing before I quilt it. That holds the seams closed when it's on the quilt frame
              Have fun here, it's a blast.
              May the road rise up to meet you...
              May the wind be always at your back...
              May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
              Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Back stitching isn't necessary because all of your seams will be enclosed in another seam.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

I only back stitch if there will be stress on that area.
                  Vonnie

Comment

I don't normally backstitch either. If you need to get your piece going, you can always use a starter piece, some folks call them feeder piece. It is a small scrap folded over and you start your stitching on it then chain piece into your actual seam. This is especially helpful when you are stitching on triangles where you don't have much fabric to hold on to to start.
                    My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

I don't backstitch as long as my stitches are really small.
                      TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

I got tired of ends of seams enclosed or not puling open during quilting. Leah Day recommends a 1.5 stitch length, and that problem disappears. It is a small stitch so ripping out is just a bit more time. So I check twice then seam. No more pull a parts period...The seams flatten out better as well.
                        Have a Sewonderful Day,
                        Mary T.

Comment

Welcome! I don't usually backstitch unless the seam won't be enclosed in another seam. To me it seems time-consuming and unnecessary on those little pieces and especially if I do some chain piecing.
                          sigpicCarolyn

Comment

Working...
                          X