free motion quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

free motion quilting

If you're quilting on a quilt that already has paisley designs on material, should you quilt paisley or will that not look right. I could do swirls but she likes paisley. How good would that look if it already had paisley design on material. Just thought I'd throw that out just to see what somebody else thinks. Just learning howl to do all this.

Re: free motion quilting

Are you able to follow the lines of the paisley design and quilt along the outline of them?
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

It's such a busy pattern of paisley It's hard to keep going around the paisley design. Maybe I'm just making it harder than it is. I just am lost on what to do with it. Wished I had a way to show a picture of it. Every block has some kind of design, like leaves or paisley and there is really no negative space to speak of.

Comment

I recently posted this because I, too, was having some trouble deciding what to quilt. I watched these two youtube videos and found them helpful. Hope they help you decide.
        "For anyone interested, I watched a few youtube videos today - one was called What To Quilt On Your Quilt (Quilting Expressions) that was very interesting. The other was Quilt It: Pointers for Choosing a Quilt Design. They are a little lengthy, but had a lot of valuable information. "
        Judy

Comment

I would not attempt to FMQ around the paisley in the fabric. However, there is no reason why you can't do a paisley pattern. Leah Day has several varieties of paisley designs on YouTube. You may just want to do an overall pattern that doesn't compete with the fabric. What I do with any quilt is: I make a quilt sandwich at least 12"x12" of the exact fabrics & pattern in the quilt. I try various colors of threads & designs to see what looks the best, then go from there. JCY

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa B View Post
            It's such a busy pattern of paisley It's hard to keep going around the paisley design. Maybe I'm just making it harder than it is. I just am lost on what to do with it. Wished I had a way to show a picture of it. Every block has some kind of design, like leaves or paisley and there is really no negative space to speak of.
            I would not attempt to copy the paisley pattern, if you missed, it would really stand out.

You don't say, or else i missed it, what the overall pattern is, but with paisley, I would probably do something straight, like a crosshatch or Outline blocks and crosshatch in between? hard to say with out more info. But one thing for sure, I would not attempt to follow the paisley pattern, I am not that good.

Comment

Working...
            X