Gracie Quilting Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gracie Quilting Frame

Okay my friends...after watching Angie's video on the Gracie frame I am seriously thinking about getting one. I need some serious and honest reviews on the frame. Is the structure of the frame itself sturdy, will it hold up to years of quilting? What machine would be ideal for this frame? Do you have regrets about spending the money on this frame? Pros & Cons?
    LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Re: Gracie Quilting Frame

I have the wood frame and I think it's very sturdy and should last a long time. In my research I read that some people thought their rails bowed after time but that has not happened to me and I was told not to pull the quilt too tightly. You've probably read my posts here and on my blog about the joys and challenges of the frame. I've had a love/hate relationship at times but overall, if I accept it for what I can do with the limitations of my machine, it's a keeper!

Comment

Pat,
      I have had the gracie frame for many years and have had no issues with the frame itself, but as stated by a1angiem, I have had issues with my rails bowing. My husband has reset the screws and tightened things up so now I'm back in business and ready to get back to finishing up my quilts.
      Even tho I'm self taught and still learning new tricks every day, I have paid for my gracie in full. Well worth the investment.
      Happy quilting
      R

Comment

I have the Grace King frame and have had no problems with it. I think I might have to have Jim level it before I put another quilt on it.
        Shirley aka buckeyequilter
        I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Originally posted by a1angiem View Post
          I have the wood frame and I think it's very sturdy and should last a long time. In my research I read that some people thought their rails bowed after time but that has not happened to me and I was told not to pull the quilt too tightly. You've probably read my posts here and on my blog about the joys and challenges of the frame. I've had a love/hate relationship at times but overall, if I accept it for what I can do with the limitations of my machine, it's a keeper!
          Angie, I have watched your videos and you are the reason why I am leaning towards getting one. I've had my eye on an Innova Longarm, but it is $11,000! If I can get a less expensive means of longarm quilting to work I am ready to do it. Just need to get some $$$$ together first. I thought the rails were aluminum (?). You would suggest getting the King? I have made one King-sized quilt and will probably make more.

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Thank you Rosie for your input. I appreciate it. What size do you have? What machine do you use?
            Originally posted by Rosiek View Post
            Pat,
            I have had the gracie frame for many years and have had no issues with the frame itself, but as stated by a1angiem, I have had issues with my rails bowing. My husband has reset the screws and tightened things up so now I'm back in business and ready to get back to finishing up my quilts.
            Even tho I'm self taught and still learning new tricks every day, I have paid for my gracie in full. Well worth the investment.
            Happy quilting
            R

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyequilter View Post
              I have the Grace King frame and have had no problems with it. I think I might have to have Jim level it before I put another quilt on it.
              Shirley, what machine do you use??

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Pat, for sure if I had $11,000 I would get a 'real' longarm set-up but since that isn't going to happen any time soon, this was a suitable option for me and an excellent way to get my feet wet. I mentioned in the other post that I went for a lesson on a Gammill and although it was beautiful to work on, was HUGE and even besides the cost, was a significantly bigger foot print than I could handle. Therefore, with neither the money nor the space requirements, the Grace frame is perfect for me. I don't have to feel guilty if I don't use it all or every time (which after spending $11K I would) and I don't have to feel pressured to quilt-for-hire, which I really prefer not to do, in order to pay off the longarm. My rails are aluminum and as I said, I have NO problems with the frame at all. As far as I can tell in comparison, the actual function of the frame/rollers/leaders, etc. works exactly the same. The only problem I have is the 9" throat space on my Janome 1600P. It is great for smaller quilting designs and it is nice not to have to wrangle the quilt. As far as the king size vs. queen size, well that is a matter of your space and money. I knew I wouldn't be doing THAT many king quilts to warrant the extra space and expense and if we ever move to a larger home I always have the option of adding the add-on to my queen to make it a king (so it's not an all or nothing decision). Hope that helps!

Comment

Hi Pat,

My set up is a wooden Little Gracie frame with a Juki 98E. There is just no way I'd spend thousands of dollars on a long arm, so I am content with this set up. I bought the Juki on Craigslist for $500, and a year later bought the Little Gracie frame on Craigslist for $400.

The Juki has a 9" throat, but I don't get 9"of space. When I set up the Juki "around"the take up am, I believe I only get 5" to quilt. I've learned to live with that, using small patterns or splitting 10" patterns into a top and bottom pattern. I've grown used to it.

As for durability, I'm thrilled. I've kept the Frame set up as a project table for two years, and I've kept it stored in pieces in a closet for months at a time. Neither has had a negative effect on the Frame.

Piecing is my great love, not quilting. So this set up gets the job done for me. If I had dreams of feathers and pantographs, I wouldn't be so content. But I've stayed within a comfortable budget and I like what I've got.

Hope this helps.
                  Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Working...
                  X