Flannel rag quilt and directional pattern problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flannel rag quilt and directional pattern problem

I found a cute argyle pattern that I planned on using on a flannel rag quilt. I was going to do it in strips.

But when I've laid out the unwashed Kauffman flannel to cut (after I've evened up the selvage) the pattern runs on an angle ... enough to be noticeable. Haven't worked that much with flannel in general so I'm hesitant about cutting it until I get some advice. I've tried to do a search on the forum and couldn't find an answer.

So should I cut using the pattern as a guide (which is more optically appealing to me) or even up the selvages and cut on the grain even though the pattern will look wonky.

Re: Flannel rag quilt and directional pattern problem

Not sure what you mean by doing it in strips. I've made quite a few flannel rag quilts, with the flannel on both sides or one side. In that case, I would fussy cut the design and not worry about the grain. The whole thing is going to shrink anyway. However, if you were referring to some other style, don't know.

I really hate when the prints are off. It drives me nuts. I decided to use some white polka dot cotton fabric that was way off. I cut so carefully to line up all the dots. It still turned out off and I notice those darn dots going downhill everytime I look at that quilt. If, and when I finish, it will be going to the dog rescue place in town. Some poor little mutt will love it!

edit: Sorry Judy, I just realized what you meant with the strips. I've only done baby quilts with flannel squares.
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...rag-quilt.html
    Last edited by Sharyn J; March 30, 2014, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks SharynJ - guess I should clarify.

The strip is being cut selvage to selvage and will be 8 inches wide. It's going to be the center panel with coordinating color strips on each side. This is the closest example I can find: Come Together Kids: Flannel Rag Quilt

Comment

If you have enough fabric I would try cutting a test strip or square with the pattern straight to see if it is on the straight of grain. Also, did you prewash. Most people recommend this for flannel but I'm not sure for rag quilts. I have read about wetting and trying to straighten fabric but I have never tried it.
        Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

vchale - It was a new bolt so I ripped off the uneven factory cut. The pattern drifts 1 1/4 inches over the 44 inch WOF. So it is definitely off. Won't wash until it's sewn and clipped.

Just worried that when washed it will skew the entire quilt since it is the center panel.

Comment

1 1/4" off is quite a bit for your argyle pattern. And, I doubt that it would look any better if you cut the strips lengthwise. If you can't return it and want to use it, I'd unfold the whole width. Use a long ruler and marker and draw a line across the whole thing, lining up the pattern, then cut for the top edge. Then measure and mark 8" (or a hair more) for the bottom edge of that strip. This would work if you check each strip before cutting and line it all up. I would NOT use the first cut edge as a guide for cutting more strips, just in case the pattern goes off again. In other words, cut one entire strip and repeat the whole process for each additional strip.

If you don't want to cut anything but want to check it out before you cut, draw your lines across the width to line up the design, measure down 8" and do the same. If it looks good visually, you're probably safe to cut.

If that doesn't work, Bubby & I will probably have another friend learning "Pirate Language."

Comment

Thanks Sharyn - I will cut according to the pattern. I think when I sew them wrong sides together the skew will be going in opposite directions when I sew down the middle - and help keep it straight. (Hope you can understand what I mean.)

Pirate language? Ha! I've heard plenty of Marine Corps "technical terminology" that would embarrass a pirate!

Comment

Working...
              X